• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Hook Placement?

Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
On a '92 XJ with stock front bumper, where do I mount tow hooks?

Thanks for the help :wave1:

gonna need to get the tow hook brackets from another xj, they come stock on some xj's. someone sells them, not sure though

If you are going to run a stock bumper and can't find a scrapyard tow plate...you can get a plate and mount bracket kit from Quadratec. Good folks.

Not nearly as strong as a well thought out integrated bumper...but ya gotta start somewhere...

MudDawg said:
If you are going to run a stock bumper and can't find a scrapyard tow plate...you can get a plate and mount bracket kit from Quadratec. Good folks.

Not nearly as strong as a well thought out integrated bumper...but ya gotta start somewhere...
Bad choice. The setup Quadratec sells is for attaching a tow yoke for pulling the XJ behind a motor home. For the correct bracketry for mounting tow hooks, look at Rusty's Off Road and Custom 4x4.

Do not use Tomken's. They do not include the longer "ears" and additional mounting bolts used by the factory brackets. Rusty's and C4x4 are patterned after the OEM.

My bad.... :eek: Eagle is right...I didn't look closely enough.

My 90 Cherokee didn't have a tow hook bracket, so I took a set of Chevy 1-Ton hooks and bolted them on between the sway-bar brackets and the frame. They fit perfectly, you only have to buy longer bolts. If I knew how to attach a picture I would.

doodahman said:
My 90 Cherokee didn't have a tow hook bracket, so I took a set of Chevy 1-Ton hooks and bolted them on between the sway-bar brackets and the frame. They fit perfectly, you only have to buy longer bolts. If I knew how to attach a picture I would.

that is not that good of an idea as on a side pull bad things will happen. Actually even on a straight pull bad things might happen. Go to the boneyard if you don't want to spend extra $$ and hunt for some proper brackets. There is even someone making those and selling them on ebay (all they are missing is a small steel crosbrace piece which should take no time to fab up)

doodahman said:

Just curious, how much tugging have you done with these hooks?

doodahman said:
None yet, the Jeep was stolen and recovered, I just finished restoring it.

I'm sure you will not pass a NAXJA safety inspection with your hooks mounted like that. The frame is just sheet metal, you need a braket to spread the load so you just don't tear and have the hook flying into you or someone else when it lets go.

One other option is to get a front hitch, the draw-tite is pretty good, offers the best ground clearance of the ones out there.

doodahman said:
UNSAFE!

Those will rip right off the frame if you give a hard yank. Do not use those hooks until you reinforce the mounting. I am not exaggerating when I say you could kill someone.

On second thought and more investigation - think I'll look into the Draw Tite front mount receiver. It sure looks like it would be very strong with bolting on to both frames. :yelclap:

Rich,
Thanks - that's a pretty cool bumper. Right now it's a little early in the 4 wheelin game for me to know what bumpers I want yet. :confused1

Back