• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keys-in-ignition buzzer

rideabike

NAXJA Forum User
when keys are in the ignition and the door is open, there is the buzzer....but how do i take it out or get it to stop?

ride, look at the door jamb on the drivers side....you will see a little black push button........that controlls the buzzer on whether or not the door is open.....on taking out out/getting it to stop, however, i have no earthly idear.

Kris

I followed the sound till I found mine and wrapped a half dozen layers of duct tape around it, it still buzzes, but very quietly.

Check under the dash,in the area of the fuse block.When you find the buzz ,pull it out.
Mine is under the seat,doesn,t make a sound .Black,rectangle about 1/2" x 1 1/2" long, 6 prongs on it, From a 96
Wayne

I am in the opposite position. My buzzer does not work all the time when the key is in the ignition. This has caused me to lock the keys in my XJ at least once a year. I finally had to "hide a key" on the vehicle, since I did this I have not had the problem. Luckly the last time I did it I locked all my keys in it and the autoclub lock smith was able to open my door.

There is a contact in the steering column. When the key is in contact it will complete the circuit. When this happens the chime module will let you know the key is in the ignition when you open the door. If you pull the chime module like suggested then the head lights left on buzzer will also be disabled. If you like 1960s lack of reminder buzzers then go for disabling the chime module.

The way to make this "feature" go away is to have someone pull the steering wheel and go down into the column and adjust that contact so it does not work any more. That the way you can make it stop working.

Whey do you want to disable it? Do you sit with your door open???

haha yea i sit with my door open frequently...nah, its just one of those little annoyances that i wanna get rid of

The buzzer is in the fuse block, and it's identifiable because it has a couple of little round holes where the buzz comes out. If you elect to remove it be careful, because it has a locking tab. I'd try muffling it with silicone or putty or duct tape first. I have left mine on, despite my dislike of the key-in buzzer*, because I really need the "headlight-on" buzzer, and I'm too lazy to dig into the electrics to separate the two functions.

*note: I live in Vermont, where one can leave the key in at night.

Mine was intermittent, actually worked quite rarely, until I did some work under the dash. I guess the contacts were a bit corroded or something and the removal and install must have been enough to get a good connection. Now every time I open the door with the ignition off all I hear is BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!

Might have to remove that nasty little noise maker to keep me from going :wierd:

Mine's in the middle of a field at Ft. Bliss. I didn't see it land after I threw it. Why take it out? First time you are working on the interior of the Jeep with the door open you'll understand, especially with the 'ACC' on trying to find a hot circuit. 'BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ'

:sure:

mine was taken out when i got the jeep, it was in the glovebox and i was like wtf is this, so i went through the trouble of finding where to hook it up at and put it in and buzzz i was that isnt going to work so i took it right back out and threw it away. mine was a light blue color (89)

Took that buzzer out to cure the sound, but beware, in my xj it's also connected to the head light switch and have killed the battery many times due to the forgetful mind of mine.

The difference in color of the module (black or blue)-> the blue box has the extra pin (#8) for the headlight reminder. The black one doesn't have it, and will not make the buzz if you leave your lights on. They both have the ignition circuit pin in them (think it's #3..I'll check) so in theory, you could pull the module and clip off the pin, or trace the wire into the block behind it and pull it.
Jeff

NitroDuck said:
mine was taken out when i got the jeep, it was in the glovebox and i was like wtf is this, so i went through the trouble of finding where to hook it up at and put it in and buzzz i was that isnt going to work so i took it right back out and threw it away. mine was a light blue color (89)

Looking at the module, here's the pin-out:

[tab]
[4] [3] [2] [1]
[8] [7] [6] [5]

The tab is the lock tab that holds the buzzer in. The
pins function as follows:

Pin 1 is power
Pin 2 goes to the instrument cluster somewhere
Pin 3 is ground
Pin 4 is the seat belt input
Pin 5 is blank
Pin 6 is the door switch input
Pin 7 is the key in input
Pin 8 is the headlight input

If yours is black, you won't have a pin#8 (that's the headlight chime). Disable pin#7 somehow and you'll be good to go.
Jeff

p.s. pinout is courtesy of Joe Hornbrod on the MJ Yahoo board.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jeepcomanche/

i'd say if yr good enuf, just "pull" pin 7....or find some way to clip it off short.....but then again we army folks dont always do things "by the book":D

Kris

Back