• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump noise

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
i have a xj 90 and theres a noise coming from the gas tank i think is the fuel pump not sure, help whit this, any experince problems like this one

herreraxto said:
i have a xj 90 and theres a noise coming from the gas tank i think is the fuel pump not sure, help whit this, any experince problems like this one

I have 3 friends with XJ's, 87, 88, and 90 - all three make the loud hissing noise from their tail end and have been doing so as long as the current owners have had the vehicles.

Not sure if that helps you anyway, but at least you can see that it is a common behavior.

On my '89 XJ I've had the same problem. You could change the pump or do like I do and leave it as the sound will go away in a few weeks. I've had my Jeep for nine years and the noisy pump reared it's ugly head twice and went away. Haven't had the noise in two or three years.

The prevous owner of my XJ always replaced the pump - happened twice to him.

The fuel pumps do get noisy, but it’s not a definite sign of imminent failure. If you do get a replacement pump, I would strongly recommend looking for a Bosch brand pump (check Napa or the Dealer). Be forewarned – they’re not cheap.

As far as the fuel pump goes, if it ain't hissin' it's missin'.
It's normal for the pump to hiss while the engine's running but it shouldn't be audible from inside. If it makes loud or funny noises, replace it before it goes altogether.

I just noticed my fuel pump hissing a few days ago, thought it was an exhaust leak. Good to know its not going bad at least. Does get annoying although once I get some interior back on the body it should dampen it a little. :D

As everyone above notes, if it's just hissing, it's fine. You may notice it more when the tank is not full. On the other hand, if it's making a lot of noise you might want to monitor it for a while to see if it gets worse. It can eventually get pretty bad, though the one I had do that didn't fail - just sounded like a blender.

Not to be a thread jacker, but i have been getting a clunking noise from the the rear of my '97. I'm also thinking it's my fuel pump because it clunks for a few minutes after I turn off my jeep and also it clunks when i have it in the on position. Anybody have a remedy for this one?
thanks, Kevin Bradley

offroadjeepin28 said:
"after I turn off my jeep..."

???
I would check the fluid level in your rear diff.

Back