• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears and lockers?

lostcreek21

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed an aussie locker in my rear 44 and now I want to change gears from 3.55 to 4.56 or 4.88. I also ordered an aussie for the front. I wanted to know if the lockers will still work with the gear change? It seems like it wouldn't matter because I keep the carrier and just change the ring and pinion. Also what gears do you guys think I should go with, I'm running 33"s and 3.55's are sucking balls.

with the carrier you have you can go to a 3.73 gear ratio otherwise you need the carrier for 3.92 and lower dana changed the location of the ring gear on the carriers for the lower ratios so as not to make the pinion gear too small and weaken it

Last edited:
the lockers will swap right over since they only replace the spider gears, but you will need to change the carrier, at least in the D44, I don't remember for the D30.

I have 33s (for the street) and an auto and 4.88s are perfect. There has been some concerned with the strength of 4.88s in a D30 though (i have a front 44), so you may want to consider 4.56.

The 30'll need a carrier also.

I have run and will be running 4.88s in my D30, and being open, I'm not really worried about the pinion.

I've got 35s, and I think the 4.88s and 35s is a nice combo. If I have the opportunity to try 4.88s and 33s or 5.13s and 35s, I may change my mind.

I've got Aussie Lockers front and rear. I'm running the HP 30 front with 4.88's and not too worried about the ring or pinion. I've heard all of the rumors, but most of the breaks I've seen are when people are doing something really stupid. Wheel smart and you shouldn't have any problems. To sum up what has already been said:
*You will need new carriers both front and rear.
*The carrier break for a HP 30 is 3.73 and for a rear 44 it is 3.92.
*Yes, the Aussies will work in either of these carriers.
*Go 4.88's and don't look back... :)

Gear guy speaks...

carrier breaks for the D30 is 3.73 and numerically up.
D44 is 3.92 and numerically up.
you can swap the locker into a new carrier without a problem.
the reason for the carrier break is because as you go # higher the pinion gear gets smaller in diameter with fewer teeth. thus making the ring gear thicker and thicker. dana spicer uses carrier breaks that move the mounting flange of the ring gear aprox 1/4" over keeping the ring gear thickness and weight down.

typically in the case of a D30 there is no allternative other than the purchase of a $55 case with your gearset.
however in the rear D44 if you going to 4.88's then you can purchase a socalled Thick cut gearset. considering the cost of a new case, thick cut gears are typically only $30 over the cost of regular gears. but its application specific.
hope this helps.
on a side note, I run 4.88's auto with 33"s. love it and can pull grades with speed. the power is awsome and the crawl is great.

Another gear guy speaking :D

If you don't go higher than 35s and no aggressive tire like a swamper you'll be fine with 4.88s. I destroyed a detroit and 2 4.56 gear sets in my front D30 and i did not do "something stupid" :D It was just too much load for the D30

XJoachim said:
Another gear guy speaking :D

If you don't go higher than 35s and no aggressive tire like a swamper you'll be fine with 4.88s. I destroyed a detroit and 2 4.56 gear sets in my front D30 and i did not do "something stupid" :D It was just too much load for the D30

Auto or manual? Regular 6 cylinder? I'm not questioning you, per-se. I would just like to know what would actually cause it to break.

Stock non-HO Inline 6 with auto trans

aar.sized.jpg

aax.sized.jpg

aba.sized.jpg

I have no picture of the destroyed detroit and i'm not counting the destroyed front axle shafts (including alloys). :rolleyes:

This ended when i put the 60 in front and the 70 in the rear :D

Back