• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear hatch will not open!!!

Shanbo44

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know what in the hell to do! It is not locked. It seems like everything is engaging but it will not open. I took the panel on the hatch off and had my wife try to open it and everything moved except the latch. I don't know what to do????

If you don't feel comfortable tearing it apart, take it to a body shop. They are experts in getting doors and hatches open. A cold six pack on a Friday afternoon is normally all that is needed. :jester:

Shanbo44 said:
I don't know what in the hell to do! It is not locked. It seems like everything is engaging but it will not open. I took the panel on the hatch off and had my wife try to open it and everything moved except the latch. I don't know what to do????

Well maybe we should lock out two XJs in a dark garage, my tail gate won't latch!

Shanbo44 said:
TO get it off, take the bumper off and get to the two nuts that are on the hatch latch piece. You might have to figure out a way to hold it without damaging the threads (Don't remember if it spins or nut) but take the nuts off, push it up and you will be able to open the whole hatch off and examine what's wrong.

You've removed the panel on the inside...

You will notice that there is a 'little foot' that extends from the actual lock/cylinder. This foot is used to move the plastic piece side-to-side to lock/unlock. It is also used to release the hatch by pushing on the the plastic piece towards the front of the vehicle.

Try sliding the plastic piece to one side or another...and pull on it.

X1010083.JPG

Back