• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 housing weight

jgl4wdccherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone tell me what the weight is of a full width HP Dana 44 housing, for shipping purposes? All that is on it is the steering knuckles carrier and gears.

You'll be lucky if anyone really knows. Cross your fingers.......

Just do it!!

I'll take a guess. 150-175 lbs and that depends on the year. 78 and 79 1/2 tons with the 3" tubes and cast mounts are a little lighter because of the thinner tubes. Sub 150? I can usually move one around. My 76 housing with .5" tubes is really hard for me to move even empty.

your gonna be at the higher end of that spectrum. a bare housing is in the neighborhood of 100 #. knuckles are problably close to 50. gears and carrier... about 30 or so.

I left my Waggy D44 just like you described while I setup my suspension, and I could move it around fairly well. I would guess it was about 125. Ford HP axles are several inches wider, so you're probably looking at 150.

a complete XJ D44 is 230 strapped to a pallet, in case anyone was wondering :D

Back