• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie considers ambitious towing adventure...

Jeepsqueak

NAXJA Forum User
I've reviewed a lot of the towing threads I've found using the search tool, and as embarassing as it is to admit it, I feel like my questions might be, ah, less informed. Thusly I begin this thread with the word "newbie" in the title.

I'd like to move about 2500 pounds on a flatbed trailer [ with trailer breaks ], and approximately 500 pounds just behind the rear axle. Another 500 pounds in passengers forward of the rear axle. It seems obvious (and has been iterated here), that I need to equip the vehicle with a tranny cooler and a heavy-duty radiator.

The vehicle is equipped with an AW4 tranny. She's geared at 3.73. '93 Country w/o the tow package.

The thing is, I'm looking at around 2000 miles here -- crossing half the continent. Is this just plain stupid, or manageable with care and precaution? Lots of flatness, but will be passing through CO, and thusly, the Rockies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if I left out important details, please let me know and I'll fill them in.

Thanks in advance!

No expert here but I would add a tranny cooler, clean and flush the cooling system new tstat and pressure cap [dealer supplied OEM only] and new coolant. 140 weight oil in the diffs. Schedule the mountain crossings early morning, like 2am or so when it's the coolest out. Frequent stops to allow it to cool off every so often. Once there I would do a fluid change on the tranny and transfer case. To reduce some heat drain the transfer case and put in Mobil-1 ATF, that single change cooled my TC off from 'too hot to touch' after a 60mile run from pa to nj to 'warm to the touch' with the Mobil-1 atf in there, the mobil-1 atf did make a difference. Make sure to use the trailer brakes. If it gets hot, STOP and let it cool off. You will probably get some other suggestions, HTH

Richp is right about driving at night. Not only is the traffic lighter, the cooler air really helps keeping your XJ cooler all over. :smoker:

Yes, get out your owner's manual and read what it says about towing. My 88 XJ owner's manual says to have an aux trans cooler along with heavy duty cooling.

I chose to buy my aux trans cooler from the dealer. I know it cost more but I had to do no fabrication and the cooler mounted to the chassis vs wire ties attaching it to the AC condensor. I had to pull off the front bumper to install the trans cooler. I liked how well it installed. The factory cooler in 48 sq inches in surface area. That should help you IF you go with an aftermarket cooler.

Beside the cooling system stuff already mentioned, install a new fan clutch for your mechanical fan.

My owner's manual talks about 75W-140 gear lube if you tow. You may want to do a rear axle service.

Also if you have a receiver type hitch make sure the draw bar you use has the tongue of the trailer level or sloping down on inch to the ball. If the tongue point up it will make braking harder. The tongue will try to lift the rear axle off the road.

You also may want to inspect your rear brakes and make sure they are adjusted right. Sometimes thos rear adjusters do not work right soon the shoes no longer touch the drum when the pedal is pressed.

Also check your power steering and make sure it is topped off with fluid. You may want to suck out what in the reservoir and add new power steering fluid.

That's not really much towing for an XJ. Just get a good tranny cooler and go easy on the throttle. You definately need synthetic in the differentials. It probably would be a good idea to drain the transmission pan too...it's as easy as changing the oil since there is a drain plug. Are you sure you've got 3.73 gears? I thought the only thing that came with the AW4 was 3.55's...

Like Martin said, the towing package gives you the HD 2 row radiator so I think you might have cooling issues without it. I'd definitely recommend the previously stated tranny cooler in addition to everything else mentioned.

I just checked my manual, your trailer weight is well within specs. It also says basically just drive slower than when not towing and I'd downshift the third and keep it at 60 on the flat roads. I'd check into the amount of weight you're planning on carrying in th Jeep. Several years ago I hauled some scrap wire, 750 lbs. if I remember correctly and I was on the bump stops. There's no way I'd do a long trip draggin my a$$ like that. You may want to put some of that weight on the trailer. Does anyone else have weight capacities for the cargo area in the Jeep.
My 02.
Cherokid

Back