• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 cherokee catalytic converter

davebrown

NAXJA Forum User
would anyone know if it is easy to replace the catalytic converter? the one on my jeep looks to be bolted on but the dude at autozone said they are welded on and I would have to go to the dealership to have it replaced/repaired.

The cat does NOT have to be replaced by a dealer. If you have suitable tools, you can get the old one off yourself. Or, if you don't feel like messing with it (and trying to get the outlet pipe off after the clamp has crushed it), I would head over to a local muffler shop.

davebrown said:
would anyone know if it is easy to replace the catalytic converter? the one on my jeep looks to be bolted on but the dude at autozone said they are welded on and I would have to go to the dealership to have it replaced/repaired.

Did the autozone dude happen to work next door at McDonalds flipping burgers and asking 'would you like fries with that' last week too, now he's a 'Parts guy', sheesh. It unbolts from one end and it does come off. Hate doing exhaust work, almost as much as house painting, get a face shield or a good set of safety glasses before you start. Figure about $90 for a new cat.

7/70000 warranty on the cat I think... you over that?

Either way, bolted or unbolted, the labor to weld another one on is usually pretty cheap. Midas, Goodyear, ect can hook you up but don't let them touch any other part of your XJ! :laugh3:

I STRONGLY suggest you don't buy the cat at any local parts store. They will charge you way more than it's worth. You can get a NICE high flow car sound cat on ebay for about $40, cheaper and better than a stock replacement...

mrfoo said:
Boris T, this 80k fed emissions requirement...is that for every year model or what?
How does that work?
That is Federal law. The emissions systems are warranted for 80,000 miles, and the cat is part of the emissions system. This warranty follows the vehicle. You don't have to be the original owner.

For future reference, AutoZone does not sell a direct fit catalytic converter for the XJ, they sell only a "universal fit" -- which means it actually doesn't fit anything, and has to be welded on. The OEM is bolted with a flange at the front, and uses a conventional muffler clamp between the cat and the muffler.

Last edited:
My 92 has 180k on the original cat. While I was having the muffler & tailpipe replaced at a local shop I saw a sign on the wall that read something like this,

"The catalytic converter on your car should never go bad. If it does, something else has caused this to happen and should be fixed before replacing the converter."

I asked the guy doing my work about this and he said it was true. Let us know how things turn out.

lcsxj said:
My 92 has 180k on the original cat. While I was having the muffler & tailpipe replaced at a local shop I saw a sign on the wall that read something like this,

"The catalytic converter on your car should never go bad. If it does, something else has caused this to happen and should be fixed before replacing the converter."

I asked the guy doing my work about this and he said it was true. Let us know how things turn out.

The guy doing your work is an idiot. Cats go bad. They are a wear item just like the brakes and tires.

Back