• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition questions

bheit4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 4.0 that died on me the other day and i started troubleshooting and found out that it did not have any spark. Dug a little deeper and I dont think i am getting a signal to the coil. I tried putting atest light to the positive/negitive wires going to the coil while someone was turning over the engine the over. The neg grounded out and the light came on but the pos did nothing. I replaced the crankshaft pos sensor and the ignition pick up inside the dist and still have nothing. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be??? I'm thinking ECM but want to save that for a last resort. Anything else I should try or do to see why i have no spark before I go that route? All comments are welcome and anything is appriciated. Thank You

More times than not, it's the crank position sensor. CPS

Pain to change, but start by cleaning out the connector and making sure you have a good connection. It's bolted to the driver's side upper portion of the bell housing.

Looking down from the top on the driver's side, you'll probably see the connector.

bburge

Back