• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift upgrades: Quicker Disco's vs. Adj Control Arms

braeden

NAXJA Forum User
I am ordering the RE 4.5 Super flex lift, I plan on fitting 32 inch mudders, or as big as I can go withno trimming. Would I benefit more from JKS quicker discos or front upper and lower adjustable control arms. I don't plan on going bigger and it will be my daily driver.

Well, I am in the same boat almost. I bought most of RE's 4.5" kit and am making the rest. I omitted a lot of their items, as I had substitutes planned or in the works. The way I look at it, the adjustables are great for fine tuning things, then they are literally locked in. After that, you may as well forget about them. The Disco's you might use whenever you wheel. I would be inclined to place a modicum of faith in RE and go with the fixed ones and buy quality discos. But the price difference between the SF or SR 2's is only $50 or less if you upgrade to the adjustables. And you COULD substitute the adjustable SR2's for the fixed SF2's that come with the kit. They are the same price. You lose out on the slick SuperFlex Joint and get a bushing instead, but that might be OK.

Here's what would go on in my head...Hmmm, the RE kit is $950 with fresh springs...subtract the $65 and the $29 for the discos and the adapter bracket and I am left with about $855...add in JKS Quickers for $145 and I would now be spending $1000. Which is only $50 more than the basic kit....and if I am going to spend $50 more and get good disco's, why not spend ANOTHER $50 and get adjustable LCA's?

But that's in MY head. That's been known to be a dangerous place to hang out. Hope I helped a little somewhere.

-Rich

braeden said:
I am ordering the RE 4.5 Super flex lift, I plan on fitting 32 inch mudders, or as big as I can go withno trimming. Would I benefit more from JKS quicker discos or front upper and lower adjustable control arms. I don't plan on going bigger and it will be my daily driver.

Easy, upper and lower adjustable arms. You can get the disco's for about $125 later.

I recommend the adjustable control arms. Once you get your lift on, and take that first highway shakedown ride, if you've got DW, driveshaft vibes etc, it's immediately fixable with adjustable arms. You can "get by" without disconnects until you have the cash, but you can't "get by" with a jacked up alignment. QDs are a convienience item, proper handling/steering is a safety issue.

I heard that having adj uppers and lowers will help me center the tire so that I can avoid trimming, any truth to this, I REALLY don't want to cut my baby. I plan on BFG 32x11.5's, and its a 2-door if that makes a difference.

JKS quicker discos are $125.95 with free shipping from www.kevinsjeepparts.com

I would agree that RE's discos suck. I had them for a few years and switched over the the JKS when they first came out about 3-4 years ago. I had one of the RE pins come in on the highway which sucked. Nothing a nut and bolt couldn't fix. Jks has a better quiter product. I would go with the adjustable control arms upper and lower, for a major reason...dial in the pinion angles. Also like most people do you will go higher at some point. I had their fixed arms with the 4.5" coils and when with new leafs and had to add a spacer. So I needed adjustable control arms. I did go with Rusty's arms which are cheaper and do have OEM rubber bushings which I'm replacing with poly this summer sometime when I have the time to do it. I think you will like the adj. control arms and the JKS discos. Juice

Are adj control arms recommended for all lifts? I am staying at around 4" and just planned on fixed lowers and changing uppers when I have the cash.....is that ok?

Back