• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help cool my interior, im dyiinggg

cjmatt

NAXJA Forum User
my a/c doesnt turn on no matter what and always blows hot air. is there a way i can wire a switch to the a/c compressor to turn it on somehow because i think the hvac is screwed up in the dash. or are there any other things i can do to get some cold air coming in? i cant even get it to just open the vents to allow outside fresh air. its either off or heat. but all of the settings work as far as where its distributed to .

oh also, i believe it has something to do with the lower slider. the upper slider works fine and chooses whichever setting i want, but the temp slider doesnt change. its hot no matter what. all the time

Kind of sounds like your AC clutch fan control switch is unplugged. At least you have identical symptoms to when mine's unplugged on my '90.

It's sort of recessed between the battery and water pump. Do you see any terminals without a plug on them?

I wish you would pf posted the year of your XJ. On my 88 XJ I have a similar set up. you can pull out the control head and see if the cable has come unhooked from the control head. You could have a broken cable.

You may want to start your XJ with the selector on AC and the watch to see if the compressor clutch engages. If it is not engaging then you may have a bad clutch.

On my 88 XJ the electric fan comes on every time the AC clutch is engaged.

You could have a bad cable, bad relay, or be low on refrigerant.

Verify the Clutch is engaging the AC compressor, if it is not then I'd suspect you need more refrigerant. Might be worth it to have it checked over by someone that understands XJs.

cj, just be glad you arent here! our temp today was 110....high last year was 145 here in baghdad:D so just be glad you can still drive around vehicle that has the CAPABILITY of a/c, (real a/c, not redneck a/c!) The only vehicles we have around here that actually have a/c (besides all the suv's that people have) are my M915A3 (freightliner tractor trailer) and our bde sgm and col.'s uparmed humvees (they never drive em, i never see em move, but yet they belong to the two individuals who need them the least!!! WTF WTF WTF!!!) I will happily trade ya some cold weather for hot weather!!!

Kris

oh its an 89 limited. my fan was screwed up and wouldnt kick on no matter what so i just hard wired it to my fuse block and ran a switch

jump the power wire for the compressor and see if it turns on if not its your control in the dash or you low press switch ( bad switch or low on gas )

This was many many years ago, but I vaguely remember the cold/hot sliding lever on my 88 breaking. I think the cable popped out or was stuck or something like that. It might be worth looking into.
Jeep on!
--Pete
Jeep Comanche aficionado
88 4wd project, 86 work horse, 89 parts truck

Back