• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how difficult is it, and how do you replace engine rear main seal in 90 xj

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
How difficult is it to replace the eninge rear main seal in a 90 xj?

Can it be done from beneith my 5inch lifted xj, without any hoists or special tools, other than normal wrenches, etc.

What is involved? What tools are needed? How much time will it take?
Can one person do it?

What parts should I get?

Are there detailed instructions on line somewhere?

the rear main seal very wel may be leaking but also make sure the oil filter adapter seals arent. when they do oil runs down the side of the pan and drips at the rear looking like a rear main leak. if the rear main is leaking it will be tuogh removing the old gasket material. recommend spray gasket remover and some patience for that. dont use any abrasive sanding disc or some excess debris may get into the engine if not thoroughly cleaned out

In my 95 it was damned easy. I loosened the starter up (didn't even remove it). Dropped the pan, took the seal out and replaced it. It was a piece of cake. My 95 sat on it's 35 inch wheels with 5.5" lift. No dropping the axle or lifting the motor (as the FSM states). Easy.

Kevin

My 90 xj has a 5 inch lift, I assume wheel size doesn't matter.

Why do you need to loosen or remove the starter, and how easy is it to put back.

lapaul said:
My 90 xj has a 5 inch lift, I assume wheel size doesn't matter.

Why do you need to loosen or remove the starter, and how easy is it to put back.

the starter is held on with 2 bolts, little tight down there, but easy to put back in. the starter will be the least of your problems. if your worried about the starter being difficult, then you need to consider whether you want to do the RMS.

RMS is not all the difficult if you take your time. getting the pan can sometimes be a PITA. its a time consuming and very messy job.

Back