• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which MC for Large GM front and small GM rear calipers???

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Finished the axle swaps and I've got 1/2 ton Chevy's up front and Monte Carlo rears. I've read about the '99-'01 Dodge 3500 MC, the Vette MC, and the E-350 MC. My question is which one should I use, and what else will I need to change? Will I need to remove the famous "o-ring" from the prop valve, get a new prop valve, or ? Somebody hold my hand please :dunce: Oh, and I need this done today!

Ary

Safari Ary said:
Finished the axle swaps and I've got 1/2 ton Chevy's up front and Monte Carlo rears. I've read about the '99-'01 Dodge 3500 MC, the Vette MC, and the E-350 MC. My question is which one should I use, and what else will I need to change? Will I need to remove the famous "o-ring" from the prop valve, get a new prop valve, or ? Somebody hold my hand please :dunce: Oh, and I need this done today!

Ary

I've got 3/4 ton chevy calipers in the rear and 3/4 ton ford, dual piston, calipers in front. I have an adjustable proportioning valve on the rear with it turned all the way down. I left my o ring alone, kept the same MC and I stop just fine! I say give it a try first and see if you need to dump more money into it.
Billy

I have tried it. I can stop, but the pedal goes nearly all the way to the floor before I really start to brake. I'd like to fix this. I can almost lock up the fronts if I slam on the brakes and I'm going fast enough, but I'd like more balanced controlled braking without pushing the pedal to the floor.

Ary

I originally tried using the stock m/c with my brakes too and it would go to the floor before stopping. I'm running 3/4 ton Ferd fronts & 3/4 ton Chevy calipers in the rear.

I removed the prop. valve completely and installed an E350 m/c, now I've got hellabrakes! Stock booster & all I can literally lock up the 38.5s at any time. And normal stopping is really light pressure, I've gotta be careful not to get on the pedal too hard.

-jb

vintagespeed said:
I originally tried using the stock m/c with my brakes too and it would go to the floor before stopping. I'm running 3/4 ton Ferd fronts & 3/4 ton Chevy calipers in the rear.

I removed the prop. valve completely and installed an E350 m/c, now I've got hellabrakes! Stock booster & all I can literally lock up the 38.5s at any time. And normal stopping is really light pressure, I've gotta be careful not to get on the pedal too hard.

-jb

You've got the older single diaphram booster, correct? I wonder what effect the newer double diaphram booster would have on this setup?

Ary

Just a quick question for vintagespeed: Do you have a part # for that MC? I did search and all it says is E350 MC. I have to change my MC because of the same reason and i don't want to return things because they don't fit because shipping from and to germany is really expensive. Thanks :wave1:

I bought mine at Napa PN#10-2008, it was like $19 if I remember right.

Awesome m/c AND a low price.

-jb

Does the E350 MC bolt up or does it require some persuasion? I too have the single diaphragm booster and four discs and a pedal that goes alllll the way to the floor.

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
Does the E350 MC bolt up or does it require some persuasion? I too have the single diaphragm booster and four discs and a pedal that goes alllll the way to the floor.

You have to grind out the bolt holes a little bit to make it fit the studs and grind the outside of the 'ears' down to get it to fit inside the single diaphram booster. It's still pretty close to bolt on though.

-jb

Running stock calipers up front, ford calipers in back (8.8) and using the E350 MC with single diaphragm booster and no o-ring in the prop valve. Stops better now than it ever did in stock form. I wouldn't bother putting in the dual diaph. booster if you go this route, not worth your time. I CAN'T put the brakes to the floor, it locks up way before that.

AJsArmor... What size tires are you running, Id love to be able to lock my 37s up.

AJsArmor said:
Running stock calipers up front, ford calipers in back (8.8) and using the E350 MC with single diaphragm booster and no o-ring in the prop valve. Stops better now than it ever did in stock form. I wouldn't bother putting in the dual diaph. booster if you go this route, not worth your time. I CAN'T put the brakes to the floor, it locks up way before that.

Umm, mine's an '01 so I have the dual diaphram booster stock. That's why I was wondering if it would make a difference. Sounds like I should get the E-350 MC and give it a shot.

Ary

Safari Ary said:
Crash, Goat, Sean, Beez? ANYONE?
Ary,
They are all at NACFEST I believe.Your still thrashing I see,Hpoe it all comes together.
I head up tonight ,will keep an eye out.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Ary,
They are all at NACFEST I believe.Your still thrashing I see,Hpoe it all comes together.
I head up tonight ,will keep an eye out.
Wayne

Wayne, I'm not gonna make it. Not only is the Jeep not finished, but I ran out of money :banghead: I was hoping Goat and Crash might chime in since I KNOW they didn't drive clear across the country for NACfest ;) Oh well, once I get the shocks setup I'll pick up the new MC and give it a whirl. Thanks

Ary

BTW, if you see RichP tell him that Adam never picked up the diff guard and we can arrange something else later. Thanks

I must be the only lucky one around. I used the stock booster and pulled the o-ring from the p-valve. I have the same calipers you are installing and can lock up the 38's at will. Why not try the free method first? I even had to return the E-350 MC I planned on using, but never needed.

-Jon

I pulled the o-ring today to see if it would make a difference. Now I can lock up the rear brakes by pushing the pedal about 3/4 of the way down, but no matter what I can't even think about locking up the fronts. Before I pulled the o-ring the fronts would chirp a little as I came diving to a stop, but that's it. I've bled the brakes twice now and when I have my helper pump up the brakes and hold, and then open a bleeder screw, they ALL shoot fluid like 2 feet in the air. So I think I've bled adequately.

Anything else to try before I pick up an E-350 MC? Thanks

Ary

Back