• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Lift Opinions Wanted

MudMedic

NAXJA Forum User
My '98 XJ Sport is begging for a suspension upgrade but I need to start on the cheap! I have a Tomken 2" kit but after reading all the posts about driveline vibration I'm starting to worry already without having twisted a wrench. Has anyone installed a budget boost on a 98 without vibration problems? Would I be better off to wait until I can afford a SYE and a full 3" kit? My wife does drive it OCCASIONALLY and would not be real happy with the vibes. Any opinions appreciated!

It depends on the type of driveshaft you have.If its a single joint type you want the pinion to be about 1-2* lower than the output shaft.If your running a Double Cardon shaft then you want about1-2*less than the driveshaft angle.The shims go between the axle perchesand the springs.

I put Rusty's AAL BB on my '98 w/ 242 almost a year ago...Started out with SLIGHT vibes at about 50-55 mph and that's it. Seems like they've progressively gotten a little worse. SO.....I have a RE SYE kit on the way from RJ at Authorized Vehicle 4x4 as I type this.

Save up and wait so you can do it right. Someone siad here a while back that "you never have time or money to do it right the first time, but you always have time and money to do it right the second time."

Fergie

Fergie said:
Save up and wait so you can do it right. Someone siad here a while back that "you never have time or money to do it right the first time, but you always have time and money to do it right the second time."

Fergie

AMEN, there are a lot of little and expensive things that I wish I had done right the first time.

As for my lift, I guess I lucked out. Im at 3.5/4 inches back/front with a chrysler rear end and have no SYE and no vib. The rear is lifted with saggy rancho 3"springs and a 1.5 inch shackle. The shackle rotated the pinion up a bit to compensate for the angle shift from the spring packs.

I ran a three inch superlift AAL and full coil for 60,000 miles, with only a 3/4" t-case drop. I had no vibes even at 80mph on the interstate. All rigs are different, don't let anyone scare you. Just try it. If you have vibes then it justifies buying more stuff for your xj. Good luck and happy wrenching.

I have no vibes with 4.5"

I put rusty's 4.5" lift on mine and didn't use the transfercase drop and I have absolutely no vibes. No SYE either. No shimming of the rear pinion angle. I guess I am just lucky :D

I started with a 3 inch. I put it on and the slip yoke hit the drive shaft, so I took it off. I got a new slip yoke and put it on, then I had vibes so I took it off again. I put on a TC drop and put it back on and the only problem that I had was with the alignment. I taught myself how to do my own driveway alignment with the help from fellow Jeepers on here and now it is great. I am lifting it 2 more inches real soon and hopefully won't have any problems. So I guess what I am saying is, you can do it and if you have problems you can take it off and wait till you can afford the next step. good luck HTH

MudMedic said:
My '98 XJ Sport is begging for a suspension upgrade but I need to start on the cheap! I have a Tomken 2" kit but after reading all the posts about driveline vibration I'm starting to worry already without having twisted a wrench. Has anyone installed a budget boost on a 98 without vibration problems? Would I be better off to wait until I can afford a SYE and a full 3" kit? My wife does drive it OCCASIONALLY and would not be real happy with the vibes. Any opinions appreciated!

I have a 99XJ with a 1.75"BB, and I have NO vibes. I have the Shackle not the add-a-leaf and I've heard from others that the AAL has more vibe problems than does the Shackle. I know that everyone is saying don't lift, but I disagree. Lift a little and then save for the bigger lift and the SYE. The BB are cheap and can temporarily satisfy the desire to lift. I am looking to go to 3" at least maybe 4" ASAP, but I've been happy with my BB for a year and a half now. That's just my 2 cents.
:D

Back