• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trac lock vs. no slip

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
i was looking at rocky-road and they have the powertrax no slip for i think 365 and under the same list is trac-loc for 375. just wondering what is the difference. for an 8.25 29 spline btw. also do these install just as easy as the lock right.

thanks
ramsey

Go with the no-slip. It installs the same way as the lock-right, easy. The trac-lock is actually a limited slip, the same crappy thing that comes in some stock XJs.

so the no slip is a locker? does it behave a little better than a lock right on the road?

thats great news to me, thanks

This depends what you mean by "does it behave better?" The characteristics of the locker itself under throttle are going to be like any other locker. The claim on the No-Slip is that it doesn't engage or disengage harshly.

It may be a bit nicer in terms of limiting harsh engagement, but it won't be like a limited slip. Having said that, I find a full Detroit to be no issue at all in the rear axle with an automatic transmission, and I like it a lot better than a limited slip in the snow.

Nay

my brother has a detroit in the back of his truck, it is ok. but i would prefer something that behaved a little nicer. i hope that the no-slip will be a good solution.

it must be the "old" detroit locker cause I don't notice mine at all...

yeah it is 2-3 yrs old. is 365 a good price for the no-slip?

Ramsey said:
yeah it is 2-3 yrs old. is 365 a good price for the no-slip?
$364 and change is what i paid for my no-slip, including 3-day shipping form wash. state to ky, could have gotten it for $358 shipped from another dealer but would've had to wait two weeks

care to tell me where you got it?

quadratec had the cheaper price, but they drop ship...
randy's is who i got it from :)
i price shoppped by calling everyone with a toll-free number, and was honest with them about the pricing from the other guys, and they in turn started cutting their prices...
but if you are in no hurry, call quadratec, they advertise the lowest price on the no-slip guaranteed.
and your welcome :)

I know one local XJ'er who did the No-Slip for the very reasons you entail, and then he drove a Detoit equipped XJ and said he would have just done the Detroit had he known.

I've been very conservative towards preserving road safety and limiting unpredictable behavior, and I stayed away from a Detroit for years because of this. I was overly conservative in this case (although if you have a five speed you might really hate any automatic locker). You have to modify your behavior around town with any automatic locker (no mashing the throttle around turns), but for everything else it is no more noticeable than a limited slip.

I would do the No-Slip for two reasons only: 1) it costs less, and 2) you can install it yourself, which means it is under half the cost of a Detroit.

In return, you give up strength as you are limited by the stock carrier, and the No-Slip is a more complex mechanism in terms of reliability.

But as far as streetability goes, I don't think it matters a bit. You'll have to adapt to either one a little bit, and neither adaptation will be anything to the degree of what a tall suspension lift does.

Nay

the detroit is not even an option for me due to price of labor. love the fact that no gears need to be reset. btw xjhm thank you very much :)

I just installed a No-Slip in my 98 XJ w/ 8.25 and I love it. I did have to get used to not hitting the gas hard on tight corners but on the trail it is awesome!

Later,
Rough

I have a no-slip rear with a 5 speed and its quite noticeable. I've dealt with it for 2-3 years now, and I think I would rather have a spool or selectable...not the in-between I have now. I definitely know it's there both on the trail (great) and the road (O.K...).

Pat

I have been running a No-Slip in my D35 for over a year...like everybody says, it takes a little relearning....but under MOST driving conditions, I never notice it now that im used to it. As far as reliability goes.....I pound the livin' crap out of mine in the local mud-holes...ain't broke yet....got mine from quadratek, pretty good folks there.

thanks for all the responses. i just put a lock right in my front and it was EASY! this coming from someone with almost no mechanical skills. look forward to tackling the no-slip in the 8.25

I have had my no slip just a little over a month now. The first two days I had some learning issues. I would lock it up half way around a tight turn, like turning onto the road. Now I don't have any problems with it at all. I feel as if I have to be trying to make lock in a turn on the asphalt before it does. With mine, it clicks enough that I know it is there, but I do not feel I have any ill effect on the way it drives. The only time I really hear it click is when it unlocks as I back out of my parking space at work every day. I drive 26 miles to work and then home again every day, and I live in the country and work in the middle of town.

Don't fear the no slip. If you put up with the driving changes that go with oversize tire and lift, you'll never even notice it.

here is my two cents...
OEM tracloc's typically don't hold up to larger tires and higher gearing.
no-slips are great. I ran one for 4 years in my rear 8.25 with 31" tires. the only recomendation I have for them is to replace the springs every year.
they are expe3nsive however, especially when compared to a detroit.
a dana 30 detroit is the same cost as a d30 no-slip round about. and if your regearing then factor in the extra $55 for a new case and its cheaper to go with the detroit in the front.
in the rear is a different story. for tthe 8.25 you really can't beat a noslip if your not regearing. it $100 less and does not require resetting the backlash. its literally a 1 hour install. but if you are installing gears, or converting from 27 to 29 spline shafts then its worth it to go with a detroit.
D44's are like a D30. if your regearing and need a new case then your only $50 from going with a full detroit.

now to throw a whole nother twist into the picture. auburn is comming out with the 'Ected electric locker. its a limited slip base with a full lockup. and cost is comparable with a detroit locker... Did I say that right? yes. I will be installing one into a Ford ranger prerunner so I guess I will get to find out how they are. trying to find out more info on them but for now I honestly think they look promissing. and there really isn't anything to screw up when installing unlike the Electrac from tractech.

so whats the more cost effective solution... well that depends on what else you are doing at teh time of instalation.:soapbox:

Back