• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Change the Mileage on Your Odometer in 7 Easy Steps

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
My ’90 XJ came with a large fuel gauge, and no tachometer. I went onto eBay and purchased a similar gauge cluster, but one with a tach.

I spent several hours searching trying to find out how to change the mileage on my odometer. I never did find an answer that even remotely helped, other than “it’s self explanatory”, or “take it to a shop”. So, I figure I’ll write up some simple directions, and someone else the time.

The following method worked on my ’90 XJ, and I’m positive it will work on many other years as well.

Step 1: Remove speedometer from instrument cluster. This can be accomplished by unscrewing the two screws on the back of the cluster. It will pull straight out, and there is no need to remove the two small screws by the needle.

Step 2: Remove the two small screws holding the trip meter in place, and gently slide the meter out, and place aside.

Step 3: What you have now is an odometer attached to the speedometer gauge face and needle. You’ll see a cylinder of numbers, which is of course, your odometer. Depending on how you’re holding it, you will see a small, thinner black wheel up next to the 100K column. This piece should rotate freely. Right next to this part, you will see a very small “C” clamp. This clamp needs to be removed, and I found it to be rather tricky. The easiest way I found to remove this, was to take a flat headed screwdriver and press it against the “C” clamp openings. Use caution while doing this, because when my “C” clamp popped off, it flew away pretty far.

Step 4: Slide the rotating black plastic piece away from the number columns in the odometer. Use a toothpick, or like device, to try and create a small gap between which number column you want to change. The numbers should rotate backwards and forwards freely. Push it back together when you have your desired number showing through the speedometer face. Repeat this step until you’ve changed all desired numbers.

Step 5: Make sure the numbers are lined up on the speedometer face.

Step 6: Reinstall the “C” clamp. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers to hold onto it, and press the clamp in place.

Step 7: Reassemble the trip meter, and then reinstall the speedometer, with your newly adjusted odometer, back into your gauge cluster.

That’s all there is to it folks. Please check with your local and state laws before attempting to modify an odometer reading.

Nice little disclaimer there at the end! I'm sure that will keep you out of jail :eek:

Will confirm that this works on the '87-'88 panel... trip odometer doesn't need to be removed either.

Above disclaimer still applies. :D

Just what I was looking for Ill make the attempt tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

Back