• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 7.5" coils HURRY!

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
RE 7.5" coils HURRY HELP!

My xj is scheduled to go to the shop in two weeks to get ARB's front and rear with 4.56's a custom longarm kit from centerlinemotorsports.com with bilstein 5100's. My last dilema is to decide whether i want to go with RE 5.5" coils or the 7.5". I am going to trim my fenders up like this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82828 and thats it with 35's. I know the 5.5's usually end up close to 7" what does the 7.5" end up at. What is the advantage of the 7.5's . Would it be best to run the 5.5's and spacers if needed or just get the 7.5's. If spacers or 7.5's go in what do I use to match the rear just blocks or are there preferences in taller springs. thankx for any help i need it.

Last edited:
Re: RE 7.5" coils HURRY HELP!

if you're looking at 35s (you have gotten rid of the D35, right?) then stick with the 5.5 inch, and where have you heard it comes out at 7"? I haven't had it, but everything I have heard is it sometimes comes out a little tall, but not that much. Don't run more than 5.5" for 35s on an XJ unless you just want to look cool at the mall

its a 99 so i got the 8.25. Have read in quite a few threads that the 5.5 ends up at around 6.5 up to 7.5 but usually around 7ish, do a search. Just not sure if the 5.5 will be enough to clear 35's with the trimming i am doing.

BrettM said:
if you're looking at 35s (you have gotten rid of the D35, right?) then stick with the 5.5 inch, and where have you heard it comes out at 7"? I haven't had it, but everything I have heard is it sometimes comes out a little tall, but not that much. Don't run more than 5.5" for 35s on an XJ unless you just want to look cool at the mall

Where'd you get the "no more than 5.5" for 35's"?

It takes severe trimming to run 35's with that little lift, and relatively few have done it, although it can be a very good way to go. Most who run 35's do it with 7" to 8" of lift, and major trimming is still required at that lift amount.

I'd go with the 7.5" coils. I have the 5.5" coils only because the 7.5" weren't available when I got them. I have one extra rubber spacer on top, and the spring seats are raised 2" on the axle, and I have 7.5-8" of lift, with a winch and heavy bumper. Most reports that I've read on the lift from the 5.5" coils are 5.5" to 6.5", but that depends on the amount of equipment, and they will settle a little.

Last edited:

Goatman said:
Where'd you get the "no more than 5.5" for 35's"?

It takes severe trimming to run 35's with that little lift, and relatively few have done it, although it can be a very good way to go. Most who run 35's do it with 7" to 8" of lift, and major trimming is still required at that lift amount.

I'd go with the 7.5" coils. I have the 5.5" coils only because the 7.5" weren't available when I got them. I have one extra rubber spacer on top, and the spring seats are raised 2" on the axle, and I have 7.5-8" of lift, with a winch and heavy bumper. Most reports that I've read on the lift from the 5.5" coils are 5.5" to 6.5", but that depends on the amount of equipment, and they will settle a little.
what I base that on is I'm runnin 35s on my MJ with 7 inches of lift. I have plenty of room to lower it 2 inches, and would love to except with the longer MJ wheelbase I want the extra height for breakover angle. In the future I would like to shorten my wheelbase to 105 and lower it 2 inches. I strongly feel that it is worth extra trimming to keep the lift smaller, one of my favorite XJs I've ever seen is CheapXJ's with 36s on a 4 inch lift, I would love to put a 2 inch lift on a TJ, cut the fenders to oblivion and run 37s... you get my point, but hey, that's just my opinion on the issue

BrettM said:
what I base that on is I'm runnin 35s on my MJ with 7 inches of lift. I have plenty of room to lower it 2 inches, and would love to except with the longer MJ wheelbase I want the extra height for breakover angle. In the future I would like to shorten my wheelbase to 105 and lower it 2 inches. I strongly feel that it is worth extra trimming to keep the lift smaller, one of my favorite XJs I've ever seen is CheapXJ's with 36s on a 4 inch lift, I would love to put a 2 inch lift on a TJ, cut the fenders to oblivion and run 37s... you get my point, but hey, that's just my opinion on the issue

I agree, a lower lift height can increase stability and enhance climbing ability. It does, however, require considerable (and knowledgeable) trimming, unless up travel is limited.....which some people aren't willing to do.

One of the problem areas is the corner in the upper front part of the front wheel well, under the air box on the drivers side and the battery box on the pass side. I had considerable rubbing on that area with 7.5-8" of lift and 35's, although it didn't hurt anything. When I went to 37's that spot had to be dealt with, as it would with 5.5" of lift and 35's. That requires cutting and welding on that thin galvenized material, which isn't easy for everyone to do. I seriously doubt that you have 2" of extra room in that spot, as you could already be rubbing there if your up travel is very good.

I agree that there are good reasons to go as low as possible, but it's not for everyone, and isn't easy.

This is good info and i would like to hear some more. Have you guys checked out the link about the fender trimming, what do you think my chances are with running 35's and that amount of trimming. Will I have clearance issues when turning and stuffing. What lift height are people ending up at with these coils. What would be the most reasonable way to match the rear blocks or is there another company out there that makes a leaf that would match. I have read about Big Offroad but it sounds like these springs are pretty stiff. Keep it coming guys I only got about a week before I need to order. Some pics of the 7.5's completed installs would be helpful.

I don't really find the bulge in the inner fender to be an issue.

I've kept stock length control arms, so when it's stuffed, it's centered in the wheelwell instead of being pushed really far forward

stuffed to the bumpstop:
DSC01461.JPG

maybe it's the stiff balanced suspension that keeps it in check, but I just really don't have any problems with it. Then again, I try as hard as I can to steer as little as possible when doin more technical crawlin' (I don't really like breaking stuff. turned to lock and pulllin just isn't a good combo on a D30. even with 760 joints and welded caps)

jason at Jeepin.com is running 35's with the RE 5.5" xd kit w/ BW's. works great.

I run 35's with the RE 5.5 short arm kit. I have trimmed a bit, but have no issues at all. No pinch seams were cut, nor were any folded over. Just trimming.

This is on a '95 4 door.

Kevin

The 5.5" kit is plenty for 35's. Shoot, I'm running 37's with it. Here is a fender trimming article I did right after installing the 5.5" kit on a local kids XJ. He got 6.5" front and 7.5" rear with the 5.5" kit. Keep the height as low as possible with the tires as big as possible, and as little backspacing as you can find, and you will have a much more stable rig on the trail.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/fender_trimming.htm

Get the 5.5"er's because it is all you need----------Kyle

This pic is of that very coil spring with 35s---
flexing.jpg

and in case you don't believe me, here is my other old cherokee that I sold with same lift and 35" super swamper trxus

myoldjeep1.jpg

What are you trying to accomplish? Are 35's the biggest you'll ever go? Do you want as low a lift as possible with as much trimming as possible? What concerns you with the taller coil, understanding your trimming concern with the lower coil?

I just swapped out the 5.5" coils plus spacer for the 7.5", and the difference is about 1.5" max, FWIW.

I like the 7.5's better. They are a bit stiffer. I don't know what the bust is on the 6" XJ lift vs. the 7"-8". I haven't found any decrease in stability or performance and it is simply easier to clear larger tires. In my experience, 7-8" on an XJ is a real sweet spot (if you are willing to move way beyond bolt-on stuff), and more so than 5"-6". Regain stability through track width.

I spent a lot of time and money playing around with lower lifts and never found any advantage....although I was shifting between 5" and 6.5" at the time.

My rig right now at 8" is by far as stable as it's ever felt since I lifted above 3" 4 years ago, but maybe that's as much due to stiffer springs and Bilstein shocks as anything. My point is that this question goes way beyond "what lift spring should I buy?". Height is only one piece of the equation.

Nay

Agreed :wave1: it's much more than just deciding for coil height. The kay is to balance the suspension, the 7.5" are a lot stiffer than the 5.5"s and you will have to adapt yout complete suspension. Stiff coils require long arms and a soft to medium shock. If you're running short arms with a medium to stiff shock you will get a harsh and bumpy ride.

The 7.5s are stiff, but with my long arms and the 5150 Bilsteins it rides and flexes like a champ. If you go over 6" of lift you have to know what you're doing and have to do a lot of research what combo of coils/shocks/control arms work. It's not only "Should i get the 5.5 or 7.5" :wave1:

CheapXJ said:
I don't really find the bulge in the inner fender to be an issue.

I've kept stock length control arms, so when it's stuffed, it's centered in the wheelwell instead of being pushed really far forward

stuffed to the bumpstop:
DSC01461.JPG

maybe it's the stiff balanced suspension that keeps it in check, but I just really don't have any problems with it. Then again, I try as hard as I can to steer as little as possible when doin more technical crawlin' (I don't really like breaking stuff. turned to lock and pulllin just isn't a good combo on a D30. even with 760 joints and welded caps)

This is very subjective, so just FYI. Here's a couple of pics of mine stuffed, the first with 35's and the second with 37's. I have to clear while stuffed and turning sharp in the rocks where I normally wheel. Like has been said, bumpstops can cure a lot if that's the way someone wants to go. I like a lot of stuff to keep the rig more level on the twisty stuff. BTW, 7.5-8" lift.

standard.jpg

This is with 37's that were mounted up the night before in camp......trimmed more, but not enough yet, and it was hard on that front upper corner.
standard.jpg

:cool: Yep, flexing for a poser shot is one thing, cycling the suspension and steering at full stuff is another thing. :anon:

XJoachim said:
:cool: Yep, flexing for a poser shot is one thing, cycling the suspension and steering at full stuff is another thing. :anon:

I was going to say the exact same thing.

Will everyone who places a post take a second look at my original thread and especially look at the trimming link that I have on there, that is all I am willing to trim right now. Down the road I will go flareless but not for prob. a couple years. Thankx to everyone.

Yeah, I haven't figured out how you can wheel without turning when a tire is stuffed................unless you wheel dirt roads, mud and the mall!!!

:D :D

Back