• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rolling odometer forward im not conning anyone!

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Another stupid question i should just figure out for myself. I upgraded my gauge cluster to one with a tach. Im wondering what is the best way to roll it forward. One of my friends said stick a drill in the silver thing out of the back on the speedometer. (it makes sense but im just not sure if it might fry the gears up) If anyones ever done this or made an attempt help would be appreciated. Its weird having 85,000 miles on a car that once had 215,000-LOL

The drill thing takes a while but it works, thats how they used to do it in the 'old days' only to roll milage backwards. For all I know thats how the spedo shops still do it on certain ones. My 98 has led's and the milage is stored in two places, onboard computer and in the dash panel.

How many hours and how many RPM would you have to run a drill to 'correct' the mileage from 85,000 to 215,000 miles? Heh-heh...

There are easier ways, but like the original poster on Eagle's linked thread says: That’s all there is to it folks. Please check with your local and state laws before attempting to modify an odometer reading.

jeepguy1990 said:
Another stupid question i should just figure out for myself. I upgraded my gauge cluster to one with a tach. Im wondering what is the best way to roll it forward. One of my friends said stick a drill in the silver thing out of the back on the speedometer. (it makes sense but im just not sure if it might fry the gears up) If anyones ever done this or made an attempt help would be appreciated. Its weird having 85,000 miles on a car that once had 215,000-LOL

Something thats easier is just to do an odometer disclosure with your state. Tell them you replaced it, what the milage showed then , and what it shows now. That way you'll cover your arss later if you decide to sell the vehicle.

most states will write excessive mileage or mileage over on a transferred title with ove 100,000 miles anyway, so why even worry about it, just disclose it to anyone who buys it if you ever sell it,
but then again, change it then you can brag about having that many miles ...

xjhm said:
but then again, change it then you can brag about having that many miles ...

That's me, with 120k on my 4th owner '87. Wanna buy it? :spin1:

Man I love when people revive my ancient threads.

ehall said:
If you still have the original cluster you can swap the odometers and be done with it
Not necessarily. If the old one had no trip odo, then they do not interchange, and if you use a compatible type but a different year, for example, an 89 into an 87, the innards may not even mount the same way.

Back