• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping odometers in guage clusters

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '90 XJ, and it's gauge cluster has everything but a tach. So I went on Ebay and picked up a pretty decent one, with of course, a tach.

The new odometer shows 63k miles on it, while my XJ has 168k miles. The easiest (and cheapest) way I can see, would be to just swap trip and odometers.

The question I have is, how do I remove the speedo gauge from the trip and odometer? I've removed the two small screws beside the gauge needle, and now the face is loose. The only thing preventing it from coming off, is just the gauge needle.

How do I remove this? I gave it a couple good tugs, but it doesnt seem to want to slide off.

Ideas?

Thanks

Can you move the tach instead to your old cluster ???
Easiest way but will cost some bucks is to take you old one to a spedo shop and have them up your new one to the correct milage. When I changed mine on my 98 I just noted it in the owners manual with the milage difference. Anybody asks I just show them the entry in the midst of other key things that I have done.

The gauge styles are different, so I can't just swap gauges.

I don't know of any spedo shops around here, or where to even look for one. I did call my usual mechanic, and they said they didn't know of any in town.

I could swap them out with no problems, if I could just get that needle to come off.

Anybody?

even if you swapped clusters, how do you know if the new cluster wiring will match up to the existing harness, then you would have to chang all sending units if you didnt already have a gauge package and wire the tach

jneary said:
even if you swapped clusters, how do you know if the new cluster wiring will match up to the existing harness, then you would have to chang all sending units if you didnt already have a gauge package and wire the tach

OK the cluster I got is also from a '90. I am 100% sure it will work. The harness will match, and I don't have the dummy gauges, so I've already got the sending units. I have read a BUNCH of threads about this in the last hour. Pretty much the only thing I've learned from the threads are that it's "self explanitory", or "take it to a shop".

Many have said once they figured it out, it was extremely easy, and took less than 5 minutes. But no one has said how it is done!

I would like to either swap out the odometers, or roll the new one forward, to my correct mileage.

How if someone could please tell me how to do this (other than saying take it to a shop, blah blah), I would greatly appreciate it.

I have the speedo gauge removed, with the odometer still attached. I've taken the trip meter off of it, so I'm left with just the speedo guage, needle, and odometer. It still looks far from self explanitory.

Someone please help. I would really like to get this done tonight.

Thanks

I swapped a 91 cluster to my 86 and it worked but had to do the speedo cable swap too. Just turn the first number down one and it will read 163k instead of just 63k. I used something as simple as a Q-Tip to change the numbers on mine. You might have to take it apart and move the numbers over after removing the c-clip.

Matt

Last edited:
The numbers wont turn by themselfs, only the 1/10 marker will roll.

It's OK though, I finally figured it out.

I don't see what was so hard about instructing someone to remove the C clamp, slide the numbers over a bit, and move into desired position(s).

I'll probably make a post about this later tonight. Hopefully it will save others from wasting hours, as I just have.

You're far ahead of me. I sat with one of those things in front of me for about 4 hours one night and I never did figure out how to reset the odometer. The one write-up I've seen said to break it, and then super glue it together when finished.

Not me.

I will look forward to your write-up.

Eagle said:
You're far ahead of me. I sat with one of those things in front of me for about 4 hours one night and I never did figure out how to reset the odometer. The one write-up I've seen said to break it, and then super glue it together when finished.

Not me.

I will look forward to your write-up.

Why not ??? it's not like a 'dont remove under penalty of law' tag they put on pillows and mattress's, there's no 'spedometer police' out there :D

As long as you don't misrepresent the milage when selling, thats the only issue.

Funny...... a FSM would have info like this and more. I know the one I have for 74 Jeeps (thats every "Jeep" made in 74) includes how to remove and set the speedos on every model, along with rebuild trannys,sterring boxes, and whats behind panels.

Best $20 I ever spent.

Get One.

Rescue35 said:
Funny...... a FSM would have info like this and more. I know the one I have for 74 Jeeps (thats every "Jeep" made in 74) includes how to remove and set the speedos on every model, along with rebuild trannys,sterring boxes, and whats behind panels.

Best $20 I ever spent.

Get One.
where do you get a FSM for $20? honestly try 100.00

Back