• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some trail opinions....

Danno

NAXJA Forum User
we are leaving for Moab in three weeks via I70 thru Denver and on to Moab. We have a day where we could run some trails in Colorado. Any suggestions? They would have to be relatively near I70 and some place to park my long trailer while wheeling. Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA, Danno

what level trail? senic or hard core?? I wold sat run Holy Cross is a nice inbetween more towards the the hard I guess. Lately I've been told my opinions of trail rating is slightly tainted.
Led

Led said:
what level trail? senic or hard core?? I wold sat run Holy Cross is a nice inbetween more towards the the hard I guess. Lately I've been told my opinions of trail rating is slightly tainted.
Led

Ya gotta love Led..... He's so willing to help he'll post while under the influence! :confused1 :cheers:

"Spring Creek" is a good one as it starts in Idaho Springs off I-70 and ends up further up I-70 in Dumont.

Check out www.traildamage.com it has good links for trail ratings and directions.

Last edited:
thanks guys! I guess some intermediates would be okay. We'll have Julie's XJ with us and she is unlocked. Of course last summer she ran Pritchett Canyon and only had to be towed up Rock Pile. Don't want to tear everything up the first day.

For a nice scenic trail to see why we live in Colorado you could do Bill Moore Lake. It can be run with a stocker if you know what you are doing and it would be a great place if you have the family with you to have a picnic. It takes an hour or so up and the same down if there isn't too much traffic.

You turn off of I-70 on Hwy 40 like you are going over Berthoud Pass. You go just a few miles before you take off up the mountain a short distance and could drop the trialer. Not much of a detour off the freeway.

For Bill Moore Lake, take the I-40 exit (to Empire, Berthoud Pass, Granby) off I-70. The first town you'll come to is Empire at about 2 miles from the exit. You will want to drop your trailer before that tho', or right on the edge of town. Then to get to the trail, go into town (northbound) and turn right on N. Empire Street, (look for the pink 2-story building- used to be a mexican restaurant). The road winds up past some houses and then makes a sweeping right past a chainlink fence, this is where you'll want to air down; trail begins at the end of the fence. Let me know when you're coming and I'll join you.

Spring Creek is perfect. Some challenging stuff, but the main rock garden is bypassable.

You park at a Conoco on I-70 with plenty of room for a trailer and drive like half a mile to the trailhead. You should be able to get some company for the local XJ'ers, too, since it's a popular trail. Perfect half day diversion if that's what you are looking for.

Now if you are after scenery, do Bill Moore Lake or something. Spring Creek is mostly in the trees, and the biggest view is actually of I-70 heading up the Front Range.

Nay

I have just moved to Winter Park and would love to go on a trail ride with you guys. Let me know when and if you are going to run the spring creek trail I would love to come along too!!! :cheers:

Back