• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar bolt broke, suggestions?

MattBlackXJ

NAXJA Forum User
As always, what should have been an easy job quickly became difficult. I'm upgrading from the standard RE adjustable track bar to the HD version with bracket. I go to remove the axle-mount bolt, and its tight. I've already soaked the nut in PB Blaster. The impact gun won't move it, so I try a long rachet and my foot. The bolt shears right below the head of the bolt just inside the track bar bushing. The nut on the back moves a little, so the bolt is probably seized to the sleeve. Any suggestions? I can't just beat it out backwards because the axle is in the way.

MattBlackXJ said:
As always, what should have been an easy job quickly became difficult. I'm upgrading from the standard RE adjustable track bar to the HD version with bracket. I go to remove the axle-mount bolt, and its tight. I've already soaked the nut in PB Blaster. The impact gun won't move it, so I try a long rachet and my foot. The bolt shears right below the head of the bolt just inside the track bar bushing. The nut on the back moves a little, so the bolt is probably seized to the sleeve. Any suggestions? I can't just beat it out backwards because the axle is in the way.

Find your blue tipped wrench and it will solve all your problems ;)

Might be able to cut the bolt, between the bushing and the mount. Tap the nut tab out of the way and there may be enough space to for a jig saw, or a small plumbers hack saw. I´m talking about between the bushing and the mount, not the side with the nut on there. Once the nut and tab are free, you can probably pull the nut and whats left of the bolt through the slot.
Remember tha last time I took, mine off I held my breath expecting something to pop. I had a little more luck.
Another possibility, might be to cut through the bracket, and the nut, using an angle grinder with a cutting blade and weld the slot closed again.
If I used an angle grinder, I´d want to wet down the bushing pretty good, would be a real bumber if it melted. I always keep a pump sprayer, full of water, in the shop, for this purpose.

The torch is a good way to go, like sugested.

Heat the bolt up redhot and let it cool back down. This will break the rust loose and you can get it out.

Will destroy the bushing in the progress, but didn't care in my case with old stock TB

8muds idea worked. I was able to get to the bolt with a cut-off wheel on the back side of the track bar. It did kill the bushing but oh well. Thanks!

Back