• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise coming from tranny/transfer case area

dbxj

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, 6 cyl., AW4, 242 w/ hack and tap SYE

I'm hearing a weird noise coming from somewhere in the transmission/transfer case area. It happens when taking off from the line at a normal rate of speed straight ahead. It sounds almost like a turkey gobble or some sort of wobbling noise, it's not a long drawn out noise. It happens, and then it goes away. It doesn't happen as soon as I start off the line, it's a few seconds after that.

I don't hear it if I take off hard from the line and I don't hear it if I'm turning while taking off. I have not noticed any change in how the Jeep drives, accelerates, and I have not noticed any sort of vibration.

I haven't had any time to crawl under there to take a look at things, but I did take a quick glance at the transmission mount and it didn't look stressed or worn out. Any ideas on what to look for when I'm under there?

Thanks,

Dave

Are you in 2wd or 4wd? It sounds almost like the CV joint in the front driveshaft is wearing out and needs to at least be regreased if not rebuilt.

Yucca-Man said:
Are you in 2wd or 4wd? It sounds almost like the CV joint in the front driveshaft is wearing out and needs to at least be regreased if not rebuilt.

This is in 2wd. I haven't tried it in 4wd Full Time to see if there is any difference.

I'm guessing the stock CV joint is not greaseable? I've looked at the joint before, according to my Haynes manual there should be a spot to inject a needle tip for greasing, but I'll be damned if I can find that hole.

The front DS has a zerk fitting about halfway down it, the other stuff is pretty much sealed.

Update: I tried running it in 4wd Full Time at lunch and I did not hear the noise. I didn't hit too many lights though, I'm going to try it again on my way home.

I'm guessing that if I have to replace the CV joint, I can get one can can be greased with a needle fitting as shown in the Haynes?

Back