• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyway around the aw4 NSS

cjmatt

NAXJA Forum User
ive got an 89 cherokee. is there a way to maybe wire a jumper switch between the wires on the NSS so that i dont have to worry about cleaning it or anything or even replacing it. id rather just wire it up so it always thinks its in neutral and starts for me rather than have to hope itll work or jiggle the shifter until it does. i dont want to be stranded somewhere and am looking for an easy way/rig out

I'm not sure where the most convenient connection is on an 89 (it's in the relay center on later models) but you certainly can bypass the neutral safety function of the NSS. Manual models just have an extra piece of wire that does essentially the same thing. Remember that the switch also sends shifter position information to the TCU and switches the backup lights, so you shouldn't actually remove or destroy it. But there's nothing to prevent you from finding the wire pair that goes to the NSS function, and putting a switch right across it. On 91-up models, there's a relay involved, and you can just use a little piece of wire in the relay socket.

The pertinent terminals on the connector are the bottom center pair, viewing the terminal with the retaining catch at the top. They should be numbered either 6 and 7 or B and C, I think. If you can identify the wires that apply to these, you should be able to trace them up to a convenient splicing point in the harness. I wouldn't splice down at the tranny end, owing to corrosion.

And of course, you need to remember that this is a neutral SAFETY switch, there to prevent runaway vehicles and lethal consequences, and I would strongly advise that if you feel the need to bypass it you do it with a switch that cannot easily be accidentally tripped, or if this is a hedge against future failure, perhaps just mark the wires for future jumping. And if you are already having trouble with the switch, do a search here for the relatively simple procedure for reconditioning it. Unless it's rusted onto the shaft of the transmission, it's an easy job.

It is called a Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) for a reason. The person who suggested you bypass it gave you very poor advice and does not understand how your XJ works.

I have a 88 XJ, basically your XJ just a year older. The NSS is used to:
1) Determine what gear the vehicle is in and allows it to start ONLY when it is in P or N
2) Determines if you are in R, D, 3, or 1-2 and shifts the transmission to you gear/direction you selected.

You can not just bypass the NSS, it does more than just make sure you start the engine in Park or Neutral.

If you are worried about being stranded you should be looking at replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor. They can go out anytime after 100,000 miles. If you get it at the dealer you have the choice of a "normal" or "high altitude" CPS. Buy the high alt version. It gives you more advance which translates into more power. You do not have to worry about engine ping since your engine has a knock sensor. IF you ever hear that low ocatane engine ping then it time to change the knock sensor.

My recommendation is keep the NSS in service, when it starts to give you problems then clean it. The cleaning procedure has been posted on here countless times. Then return to service.

Also your XJ most likely has the shift interlock recall installed. That could be messing up. I had a hard time getting my shifter out of park. Chrysler replaced it all under the "Lifetime" recall warranty. Also if you are having problems your shifter may be getting worn out, a worn out shifter you will have to pay to replace.

It might be worth a trip to the dealer and pay them 1.0 hours to diagnose the problem. At least you know what to fix instead of guessing. The diagnostic time and repair may be free if the problem is the shift interlock recall messing up.

well let me restate this. the NSS is bad and only starts about 20% of the time i try and crank it. i just want to know what two wires i can wire a switch between so that if it doesnt start i can flip the switch and call it a day

If you wire in a switch, make sure it´s a hold to operate switch (spring loaded).
Saw a guy working on his motor, with no neutral safety switch, shorted the wrong wires and a four wheel drive monster was rampaging through the parking lot, headed for the refreshment stand.
Nothing personnal, but bad idea.

What makes you think it´s your neutral safety switch? Does it work when you jiggle the shifter? Worn starter brushes will cause intermittant starts, as will a starter relay full of rust.

when the nss fails foa no start problem, it usually loses the ground circiut for the starter relay. if you ground the relay it should start. but beware IT WILL STAR IN ANY GEAR! definately not advisable

I'm pretty sure my NSS is screwed up, since it'll start in any gear... but I checked the 8-wire connector from it to the TCU and it's sensing shifter position correctly. Too much trouble to dismantle it if the important function is still working, so... I just make sure it's in Park and put my foot on the brake while starting, just in case. =]

i have an AW4 swapped in with the floor shifter and manual solenoid control, no TCU, no NSS hookups. It runs perfectly, and starts in any gear. Is my NSS then doing nothing since it's not hooked up to anything, or is it still doing stuff with the tranny even though it's isolated with the tranny?

martin said:
It is called a Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) for a reason. The person who suggested you bypass it gave you very poor advice and does not understand how your XJ works.

The only reason it would be unsafe to disable is because you can start it in any gear. Whoop de do. If you're stupid enough to do that you will be doing us all a favor and removing yourself from the gene pool.

martin said:
I have a 88 XJ, basically your XJ just a year older. The NSS is used to:
2) Determines if you are in R, D, 3, or 1-2 and shifts the transmission to you gear/direction you selected.
The NSS has nothing to do with telling your transmission which gear to shift into. That is controled via the cable attached to the shift lever.

martin said:
You can not just bypass the NSS, it does more than just make sure you start the engine in Park or Neutral.

As Matthew Currie pointed out, yes, most definately you can bypass the NSS without much trouble.

Back