• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking noise

saint_raider

NAXJA Forum User
I hear a light ticking/tapping sound coming from the top of my engine. It sounds like it is coming from the intake manifold so I'm thinking maybe it's the fuel injectors? The ticking seems to move up and down the length of the engine and it's consistent. Do injectors make that much noise or am I hearing valves? By the way its an '89 Cherokee 4.0L. Thanks in advance for any info.

Could be injectors ticking. Could be valve train getting noisy with old age. Could be a cracked exhaust manifold or a leaky exhaust manifold gasket.

Try using a 2' or 3' length of heater hose as a listening device to see if you can pinpoint the source a bit more accurately. To check for valve noise, unscrew the oil filler cap while the engine is running and point the hose at the opening. See if the sound gets louder.

Could be a number of things but given the age of the 4.0, the most likely are:

1. Worn rockers or pushrods.
2. Worn or sticking lifters.
3. Piston slap.
4. Exhaust manifold leak.
5. Worn injectors.

Like Eagle said, you can use either a stethoscope or a length of smooth bore pipe as a listening device to pinpoint the problem.

saint_raider said:
I hear a light ticking/tapping sound coming from the top of my engine. It sounds like it is coming from the intake manifold so I'm thinking maybe it's the fuel injectors? The ticking seems to move up and down the length of the engine and it's consistent. Do injectors make that much noise or am I hearing valves? By the way its an '89 Cherokee 4.0L. Thanks in advance for any info.

Terrorists. Their after all XJ's. Mine ticks to but goes away when its warm... :spin1:

Thanks for the info guys. I have now started to notice that the ticking continues after I turn off the engine. When I remove the key it ticks for about another minute then slows down to a stop. Any ideas???

Pretty safe to rule out injectors and lifters now!
Check the fan clutch - it should not spin freely when the engine is not running. If the clutch is worn out, replace it asap.
-Brian

If it is ticking when the engine is off, it is just thermal expansion and is pretty much normal. The headers and intake expand at a different rate than then head.

Back