• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installed flowmaster, air filter intake

MalakaiKingston

NAXJA Forum User
I am hardly a mechanic, I installed my air intake and flowmaster muffler today. I don't know what to call things so this is hard for me (I ordered a haynes) but the muffler is not hooked to the rubber bracket thingie that hangs down, does it need to be? I just tightened the bolts on the hangers is that all I need to do? No welding? Liquid weld? JD Weld?

Far as I can tell it sounds fine, no overheating, pressure is good the muffler looks secure in the brackets so yea, no point of me being proud of my meager accomplishments in a forum such as this but yea, I feel good.

now I am paranoid about my work this is the first time I have done anything with my 99 xj so what should I look for besides the muffler falling off to show me something that I may have messed up the install? Anything I should look for?

Hey congrates on the install :cheers: sounds like it went ok. A couple of things to check, would be, 1 that there is no exhuast leaking from the muffler connections. They don't need to be welded, or JB welded, just clamped good so they don't leak fumes. If they do leak, just re adjust your clamps, & tighten. I don't believe there is a hanger for the muffler, just make sure it's solid, & that it's not flopping around on you. As you turn more wrenches, it builds more confidence & things get easier.

Rob P

FELIX said:
Hey congrates on the install :cheers: sounds like it went ok. A couple of things to check, would be, 1 that there is no exhuast leaking from the muffler connections. They don't need to be welded, or JB welded, just clamped good so they don't leak fumes. If they do leak, just re adjust your clamps, & tighten. I don't believe there is a hanger for the muffler, just make sure it's solid, & that it's not flopping around on you. As you turn more wrenches, it builds more confidence & things get easier.

Rob P

Well no hanger for the muffler, but did you put on muffler or did you put in a catback system (from the i.e. cat stays there you bought a new muffler and tail pipe) MalakaiKingston ? If just a muffler your good to go, IF you also got a new tail pipe there is a hanger at the rear and just behind the crossmember in front of the cat is the other hanger, thats all you have to worry about with hangers.

You might want to put a heat shield on it, my 1995 xj was rusty right above the muffler, this was the only reall rust it had in 2002 when i went around with por15 touching up spots ... this was a two inch hole in the floor ! THE MUFFLER IS REALLY TUCKED up tight to the floor, nowq that you have some wrenching confidence order up a heat shield and that will be easy for you. Congrats on your first do-it-yourself job. :wave: :yelclap:

congrats man!!!!:party:

motorcityxj said:
? If just a muffler your good to go, IF you also got a new tail pipe there is a hanger at the rear and just behind the crossmember in front of the cat is the other hanger,

You might want to put a heat shield on it, my 1995 xj was rusty right above the muffler, this was the only reall rust it had in 2002 when i went around with por15 touching up spots ... this was a two inch hole in the floor ! THE MUFFLER IS REALLY TUCKED up tight to the floor, nowq that you have some wrenching confidence order up a heat shield and that will be easy for you. Congrats on your first do-it-yourself job. :wave: :yelclap:

thanks man, yea just a muffler, heatsheild, awesome I'll get to work on that!

Back