• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

limit slip and open differental

Umm, search. You will find a lot of info on this, in NAXJA and on the web. But, an open diff is when power is going to an axle, only one wheel spins. A limited slip is a 'thing' that is in your diff that alows only one tire to spin normally. When that tire spins more then normal it engages the other wheel too. In a nut shell thats the difference. As to what is best for you, it depends. How is your Jeep set up? What do you drive on, mud rocks mall? And is it a daily driver?

Search....tons of info.

An open diff directs power to the wheel with the least amount of traction......one tire spins. A limited slip will still allow one tire to spin, but it directs about 30% of the torque to the wheel with the most traction, the rest to the one with the least.......so both tires get power, but one can still spin.

An automatic locker locks both axles/wheels together, so both wheels get all the power and both have to spin, but it still allows for differentation in turns (one wheel going a little faster from the turn). A selectable locker is an open diff or a limited slip that will lock both axles solidly together (like a spool) when the switch is flipped.

A locker will provide the most traction, then a limited slip, and an open diff provides the least traction. A limited slip or a selectable locker are both very popular for the front, but many do run automatic lockers in the front. What's best for you depends on your level of modification and the trails that you plan to run, and your own expectations.

People will say most anything :viking:

Having wheeled/DD with open diffs f/r, then TrueTrac/Spool, then EZLocked/Spool, I will say that I like the ez/spool best (off road)

On the road in 2WD, the EZ front is invisible. Auto-lockers push a much wider turn in 4WD when you are on the gas. New lines are fun.

I liked my D30 TT limited slip. It had limits deep off-road, but for 85% of the trails I've run, it did fine. I had three occasions to drive it in 4WD-high, minus the rear shaft (600 miles approx 300 miles interstate) By itself, the front limited slip pulled a slight bit once or twice, under med-hard acceleration in tight turns, but it was invisible the other 99%. I look forward to having it in my 'new' DD's front axle.

lostcreek21 said:
Do people say that it is better to have a LSD or a mechanical locker in the front? Whats everybodys opinion on that?

No such thing as best......it totally depends on how you use your rig.

Purely for the most traction when wheeling, the locker is best. For hard wheeling of any type the front locker is mandatory. For moderate to slightly hard trails the limited slip will get the job done. For slightly more $$ than installing a limited slip you can have a selectable locker, which is the best of both worlds.......on when you need it and off (open) the rest of the time.

Thing is, most people, regardless of how they start out, end up wanting to do more. If you're building your rig to wheel regularly, you're likely going to be happiest with a locker. Some are happy that they installed a limited slip, others wish down the road that they had just gone ahead and installed the locker to begin with.

For a front setup a selectable traction device is the best choice, whether an eaton e locker, detroit electric, ARB air locker, OX locker. I just put an Auburn pro limited slip in my 98's rear 8.25 rear. For me it works well but I don't wheel hard with mine and it was a big improvment over the open rear. Heck, now I dont even put in 4wd near as much as I used to except for downhills when I want 4lo 1st crawling... I like the e lockers for the front, seems best of both worlds, no compressor or air lines to deal with like the arb's, but I'll let a few others install them first then read and learn....

Back