• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift question

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
so i plan on going ahead and buying a cheap 2 in lift pretty soon, cause funds will not allow for the nice 4.5 ive been drooling over. So any ways i think i can just add the lift and maybe get shock stud extenders(if thats what they are called) and i dont know if i need extended brake lines i dont think i will have to worry about drive line vibes seeing that its an older model. Any thoughts or comments or does that sound write. By the way it is a set of coil spacers and some shackles. Thanks
Scott

I have about 3.5" of lift on my 86, I had to change my rear brake hose to one from a yj, added bpe's (bar pin eliminators) in the rear, homemade shock stud extenders in the front, and rerouted the hard brake lines in the front.

I also had to change my front driveshaft to a dc one, it was the stick in a can style.

I dont know if you will have to do all of this or any for that matter.

if you do use shock stud extenders or bpe's you have to add more bumpstop or you will kill the shocks!!!!!!!!!!

here's a cheap way to get 3 or so inches of lift and a bunch of helpfull tip's http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

I was running 31x10.50's with almost no rubbing at full flex and all stock sheetmetal
now i'm running 33x12.50's and it's time to start cutting

Last edited:
yeah i have basically memorized that sight and thats what i am going to do eventually. And how does that suspension flex, and ride. And what things would you do dif if you had to do it again, if any.Thanks
Scott

A couple of comments:

1) Shackles do not reinforce your springs, they allow the springs to flex more, which leads to faster fatigue (fatigue=sag). IMHO you'll be much better off with a full-length add-a-leaf

2) If you run shock stud extenders in the front, you run the risk of bottoming out the shocks when the suspension compresses. Be sure to extend the bump stops.

3) The rear shocks don't use a stud mount on either end. Bottom is an eye, top is a bar pin. You'll have to find another way to extend the rears if you feel it's necessary. However, Monroe's technical support engineers have told me that stock length shocks are okay for up to a 2" lift.

scottsxj said:
yeah i have basically memorized that sight and thats what i am going to do eventually. And how does that suspension flex, and ride. And what things would you do dif if you had to do it again, if any.Thanks
Scott

i used the dakota leafs on the rear and got a used pair of 4" skyjacker coils so i cant tell you much on the f150 coils, but the back flexes extremley well with a good firm but not overly rough ride

why dont you just do the budget lift and find a used set of lift coils for the front

what year and engine/trans does your's have?

Mike

If you want a cheap lift that will give you a decent height, look at Rough Country. I think you can pick up a 4.5" kit for as cheap as $350-400. They will even sell you a new rear spring pack for a couple of hundred more. There is even a 3" kit for much less.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
90 Cherokee 2 door 4.5" Rough Country with Teraflex 1.5" spacers and
Flex Long-Arms (upper and lower) 33" MTR's

alright well i have a 92 xj with the 4.0 engine and a 5 speed trans. And being 17 i have to go behind some backs to get my lift, so im getting the cheap one for twenty bucks and installing it over night or trust me i would budget more for it, but i cant. If i put the add a leaf in will the flex be halfway decent and how will it ride.Thanks
scott

Back