• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what type of locker?

2offroad

NAXJA Forum User
i am going to get lockers, i know this has been over before, but i would like current info and ideas. Chrysler 8.25 rear 29 spline, Dana 30 front
Eaton Elocker in a 8.8 with rear discs
Detroit locker in both 8.25 and 30
NoSlip in both 8.25 and 30
i don't like ARB. compressor, tank, solenoids, wiring, and air lines.
Detroit E-locker has shift fork.
tell me your ideas of experence with these lockers
TIA

no slip front and rear.. then when you change gears you won't have to mess with the trouble and expense of changing lockers. if you already have lower gears then detroit locker.

sorry i left out regearing is not a issue or money at this time if it takes me a couple years to do both front and rear thats OK.

Hard to answer without knowing what kind of offroading you plan to do and what set-up you ultimately want. Maybe you don't need a locker at all, or maybe you need d60s front and rear.

From the limited choices I would say detroits front and rear with the 8.8 in back.

If your never gonna run anything bigger than 33's, so slips in both end and be done with it. Take the spare cash and put a klune in or somthin.

Consider this, if you have the traction devices installed they are going to cost a certain amount of money for labor and new bearings and seals. In the case of an Auburn LSD for the 8.25 the carrier is removed and the ring gear is mounted directly on to the auburn. If I had had my 4.10's the guy who did it would have charged me another $20 for changing the pintle gear as he had to press on the new ring gear anyway. The same is true for the front, if you are going to have a device put in the front then having a gear change done at the same time only make sense and is cheaper. That said the guy doing mine has no qualms about ME supplying both F/R gears and carrier for the front, some other shops might and charge you accordingly.
Get the gears here, thats what I did only I waited too long and got impatient to get the auburn installed so now I am going to pay for it twice kind of but next wed I'll be running 4:10's instead of 3:07's...

BTW, I really like the auburn, it only took two gravel covered intersections to discover that now instead of my XJ's ass end swinging around on a turn it goes straight as an arrow as one mailbox almost discovered...

OK, so you're not regearing at the moment. If that's the case, do you feel like setting up the R&P? Cause that's what you'er going to have to deal with when you do detroits as they are a full carrier replacement. If so then spend the extra $$ for the gears and get it all done and over with. If you do not want to touch the R&P and want to do it all yourself get the noslips as they are a lunchobx locker thus theoretically easy instal (although for the front you still might have to pop the carrier out to get the ring gear off: depends on your gears, but since same carrier is going back in, it should be rather painless).

Anyways, I had the no slip when I had the 8.25 and I loved it. It was nearly invisible on the street (and I drive fast and turn sharp ussualy), and I'd compare it's "visibility" to that of the trac loc. Currently I have both detroits. On the street I don't feel them at all (rear is even more invisible then the no slip in the 8.25). At this point I can't comment on it's offroad capability as I haven't had a chance to get it out and test it... but give me 2 weeks and I iwll be back with some thoughts on how they perform.

out of the list you got there i say go with detriots. i mean hell all the people that cant afford ARBs run detroits. all the people that cant afford detriots run quick loks/LSDs/POSIs

MuddinXJ said:
out of the list you got there i say go with detriots. i mean hell all the people that cant afford ARBs run detroits. all the people that cant afford detriots run quick loks/LSDs/POSIs
Someone made a very good point once about detroits vs ARB's or OX: with Detroits you don't have to worry about any extra plumbing or comomnets breaking on you resulting in lack of usage of the locker.

new ?
keep the 8.25 with drums or go with 8.8 with discs
the type of wheeling i do is med to hard core. the largest tire 33" (maybe 35")
would like to be able to unlock the front so it don't plow in sharp turns in 4 low.
thinking 8.8 with Eaton, then when Eaton comes out with the Elocker for the D30 regear then. or Detroits, regear, and terralow 2 low kit

Last edited:
I'd go for the 30 and 8.25 combo, both with Detroits, along with the Tera 2-Low.

The only limited slip for a D30 is the True Trac (made by Tractech) It replaces the open diff case, and requires resetting the existing - or new - gears. Roughly $350.00. Lots of places sell these.

The 30 has a gear # break. A stock offset carrier works for 3.55:1 & down, another carrier is needed for gears 3.73:1 & up ("lower")

Mark, I'd slap a EZ locker/Aussie/LockRite/NoSlip in the front and a no-slip in back so you can be locked sooner... do the f & r at differnt times if you need to.

The MOPAR 8.25 caps you at 4.56:1 (and doesn't need another carrier for big # gears) and a HP30 caps out at 4.88:1. I "think" the Exploder 8.8 caps at 4.88 as well. If lower gears than those are in the cards, you are into 44 or 60 territory. If you are confident in your C8.25, keep it & no-slip it.

Last edited:
what kind of locker or slip can go in an 8.25 without having to have the gears reset

i'm selling a motorcycle so i'll have around $1500 to do it, trying to the biggest bang for the money in the long run, my biggest ? is are rear disc $500 better?

2offroad said:
i'm selling a motorcycle so i'll have around $1500 to do it, trying to the biggest bang for the money in the long run, my biggest ? is are rear disc $500 better?

No, but getting rid of the damn 8.25 is. If you can weld I would suggest looking into a Tacoma axle. They're beefy and are the right width. I converted mine to discs for cheap, and when you want to change gears its drop out center section(like a Ford 9") makes it a breeze. You can buy and sell diffs all day long with the right combo of gears/locker. I picked up my rear axle with 4.88s and a detroit already installed for $550. I've put about $150 in brakes and I'm good to go. YMMV, just another option to consider.

Ary

Ramsey said:
what kind of locker or slip can go in an 8.25 without having to have the gears reset

auburn pro drops right in, took about 1h 50 min from 'up on the lift' to 'down on the ground' and a test drive but thats cause I asked alot of questions and took pictures :D

I'm running a rear Detroit and front ARB and I love it. I would absolutely NOT ever go with a front full time locker. When I'm locked in front the handling is miserable, and that's with 32s. I'll spend a day at the Badlands and use the front a couple seconds at a time, when needed, and then shut it off. 95% of my trail time is spent with the front unlocked. If you don't like ARB go with one of the other selectable lockers out there.

2offroad said:

Hmm for that money you could go with gears and lockers, you'll just have to convince someone to help you with the instal, like someone who has the tools and knows what they're doing (bribe them with beer, but don't let them drink till you're done with the install).

Back