• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end goes POP POP POP!!

Rufjeep

NAXJA Forum User
What's up XJ folks?! I'm an old CJ guy but recently aquired a 97 XJ that I'll be useing as an all around sort of rig. I don't need anything radical and will only be running 31's...no I won't go bigger (my CJ is my trail rig, the XJ will be a DD/ moderate wheeler). The current set-up on teh XJ is 4.5" Rustys leafs in the rear, 3" Rustys coils in the front w/ a 2" spacer. As far as i can tell, nothing has been done to address the trac bar, control arms, SYE, etc. It does have driveline vibes, but what concerns me is the front end. It Pops like mad! Will an adjustable track bar remedy this? Also, what do I need to do (if anything) about the control arms? I'm pretty sure I could fab up new arms if needed, but am unsure as to what length they would need to be. Any help, pointers would be appreciated.

The ball type joint on the trac bar, pops, when it´s worn out, often makes the steering feel loose. The front axle u-joints will pop when turning, when they are dry and/or worn out. The ball joints will pop, usually when turning into a drive way (bump during a turn).

Also the track bar mount on the frame might be loose. It will cause a poping when turning. Tighten it as tight as you can.
Keith

keith haw said:
Also the track bar mount on the frame might be loose. It will cause a poping when turning. Tighten it as tight as you can.
Keith

will it also pop when hit on a bump. i hope thats all it is. also where can i find the trac bar mount on the frame
i really appreciate the help

ramsey

It's on the left side. Just follow the track bar. It's kind of a pain to get to the bolts. I used an impact and it hasn't popped sense.
Keith

Back