• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed Header gasket...... then problems

Jeep914x4

NAXJA Forum User
I had a leaking header gasket not to long ago. I replaced the header gasket and ever since then my heater/AC only comes out the defrost vents.

I had a leak in my valve cover that I fixed. Just out of curiosity..... would a leaking valve cover create a vacuum leak?

I have gone through all the lines in the enging compartment and I don't find anything that is leaking. I am thinking I might have hooked something up wrong or something. I don't know.

Can a leaky rear main seal cause a vacuum leak? I have had a leaky rear main that just got worse recently.

Thanks for any Help,

Mike M., New Mexico

would a leaking valve cover create a vacuum leak?

nope... you either missed a vacuum line somewhere or pulled one off the vacuum tank.... It is located in the front bumper on the right side. The plastic lines running to it next to the battery are known to break very easily with age and battery acid.

I should have mentioned that I don't even have a bumper. My vacuum canister has been relocated so I don't even have the infamous section that gets coroded from the battery.

What about the rear main?

I took pics with thei Digital Camera before I did this and used it to make sure I had re-attached the vacuum lines correctly. This was my second time taking a header off the 4.0 and I can't find where/if I went wrong with the vacuum lines.

Thanks for the help. Any other ideas??

It's been a while but I finally figured it out!!

When I plugged all the lines back in one of the check valves was put on backwards.

I checked ALL of the hoses over and over again to no avail. Then last night I started the jeep and started unplugging hoses and realized... there was no leak... but no vacuum. I invesitgated more and realized that the valve was on backwards. Switched the direction and all is good.

Wohoo! Heater works again. It's a good thing cause it's getting COLD.

Back