• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Axle, Dana 35 or Chy 8-1/4

Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at lifting my '92 with a RE 3.5" :) . But I don't know what rear axle I have - how do I tell? It has a 4.0 with auto tranny if that matters. Thanks for the help.

Jeep said:
I'm looking at lifting my '92 with a RE 3.5" :) . But I don't know what rear axle I have - how do I tell? It has a 4.0 with auto tranny if that matters. Thanks for the help.
ABS is the telling factor; if it's got it you've got a D35, as I believe 92 is the first year the 8.25 was offered. Check out pics of the axles and compare for yourself: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html#axle

Cherokee91Red said:
Off subject a little. I got an 8.25 axle. If I get the driveshaft from a d35 would it be a good length for sticking on a 4-5" lift?
I'm at 7" and have long since swapped the D35 with an 8.25 and the old slip yoke DS fits nicely and I get no vibes.

Keep in mind, not all D35s have ABS. Just because you don't have ABS doesn't mean you have an 8.25. The best way to tell is to compare to the pictures on Yucca Man's website.

Thanks Okie - beat me to it. During the years the D35 was the only axle offered (84 through about 91/92) it was available with or without ABS. Yes, I know that the D44 was available as well, but that's not part of this statement.

Jim

Yucca-Man,
Thanks for the site - I have the 8.25. Next question - would that be a good thing or not?

You most likely have a 27 spline 8.25 which is about equal to a D35.

You can, however upgrade to 29 spline shafts from a '97 and up axle. You'd still have c-clip retained axles but it'll be equal in strength to a D44.

IIRC, from past threads, the 29 spline shafts and differential are a direct swap into your housing.

Okie, do you know of any websites or write-ups on doing the 27 to 29 swap or is it as easy as it sounds. Just mainly wondering what fits into what. I have the 27 spline 8.25 in my 93.

I'm probably wrong, but I thought upgrading from 27 to 29 spline was just swapping shafts and the side gears in the diff?

Anyway, I like my 29 spline 8.25. I got it for a whole lot cheaper then a D44, it'll bolt in, and it has disc brakes (well, now it does). All in all, I dont think it's a bad axle for the way I wheel with 33's.

Back