• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ground Strap

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my ground cable from Battery to Block.
Should I use the same 2/0 Welding Cable to replace the ground strap from block to chassis?
bigassground_s.JPG

groundinstalled_s.JPG

Yes, the ground is at least as important as the positive leads since every electrical item you have runs through this one lead, often at the same time.

Speaking from 4 years of Navy electrical/electronic experience, It's better to go big with ground wiring than with the smaller one. All your electrical return goes through one wire when going back to the battery. It needs to be able to hold at least 100 amps.

My suggestion is to run a 2/0 ground from battery to block, a heavy duty gorunding strap from the battery to chassis, and as a back-up another from block to chassis. That way if one breaks you have two back-ups and it doesn't get overloaded. If your battery to chassis ground strap breaks, the electricity attempts to find ground by any means necessary and will cause a feed-back and you'll start blowing fuses and can even have a fire.

Remember, your motor is isolated due to the motor mounts and if you lose the battery to chassis ground, you lose most of your negative return. The motor/chassis strap keeps the ground intact.

Another piece of advice is to connect that 2/0 battery wire to your starter. You'll have less voltage drop, hence, more starting amperage.

Hope this helps.

pabloconrad said:
Another piece of advice is to connect that 2/0 battery wire to your starter. You'll have less voltage drop, hence, more starting amperage.

Hope this helps.

From the starter to where? Neg post on the Battery? or to the block or chassis?

pabloconrad said:
I should've clarified: Fromt the negative post on the battery to mounting bolt on the starter. Less voltage drop = more starting current.

Bare with me here.... :dunno:

Should I take the existing groung which goes from the Neg Battery to the Engine Block (dipstick holder) and hook it up to the starter? Or should I run a second ground cable from Neg Battery to the starter?

XJ91 said:
Bare with me here.... :dunno:

Should I take the existing groung which goes from the Neg Battery to the Engine Block (dipstick holder) and hook it up to the starter? Or should I run a second ground cable from Neg Battery to the starter?

Yes. And a a reminder, hook a ground strap from the engine block to the chassis. Rubber is an insulator so the strap will help keep your grounds good.

Back