• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Cone Thursday or Friday

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I'm seriously thinking of trying Red Cone either Thursday or Friday. Does anyone know if Webster is open from the West side. Otherwise we will have to turn around and run it backwards to get home.

Anybody interested in going?

old_man said:
I'm seriously thinking of trying Red Cone either Thursday or Friday. Does anyone know if Webster is open from the West side. Otherwise we will have to turn around and run it backwards to get home.
Anybody interested in going?

tom,

refresh my memory as to the whereabouts of red cone? what time of day were you thinking of heading out (and about how long would we be out?).

terry

COUNT ME IN...!!!
I will be up for going as long as we can pick which day soonest; so I can plan for it.
Webster/Red Cone is just past Grant (10 miles past Bailey) on 285, 'bout 2 miles I think. If we get to the top, we can continue up Radical Hill and go west, coming out at Keystone ski resort or turn to the north and come out at Arapahoe Basin.
There is also a valley, down to the left from Radical, that I have not tried; I think it goes back to 285. I also saw a road going north from the top of Radical; dont know where that goes either.
Last fall I took my Trooper up Red Cone, Radical and on to Keystone, so a stocker will make it. We left Denver 'bout 10am, messed around alot and still got home by 6-7pm. I like that kinda schedule, cuz ya miss the worst of the traffic.
Let's see how many we can gather for this 'unofficial chapter run'; com'on everybody !!!

I talked to the ranger station yesteday. Webster is open to the top from the west with some snow pack at the top. At the moment Red Cone is still gated. I am hoping to talk the ranger station into allowing a few of us well equiped and experienced 4 wheelers to give Red Cone a try. Let me know who would be interested for this Thursday or Friday. Right now it looks like Friday would be more likely due to some fixes I have to implement. I could be open for Saturday or Sunday as well but Friday would work the best.

If I can get 4 or so rigs, I might be able to talk them into it. Maybe we could actually take the rangers with us to bust the trail and make some allies. Everyone would have to be on their best behavior or I would do some serious ass kicking :twak:

hmm...

well don't feel obligated to base the decision around me, but i could only go on thursday-- but it appears it will be friday or saturday (i'll be out of town as of fri morning).

sounds like you should make the "official" call tom ASAP so the rest of us can make plans accordingly... if there would be 3 or 4 of us i'd consider taking the day off thurs to join you.

if not, hopefully we can get the first sanctioned run in here soon, especially since nobody is responding to my query on CO-XJ about wheelin' this week (i'm anxious to test out the new mods!).

thanks.

terry

update:

i'm leaning towards just throwing my mtn bike on the back of the jeep and heading up to coney flats or gilespie gulch or something near boulder thursday-- so don't make plans around me. if you end up going to red cone on thurs, i still might join you, but at this point i think i will just take a half day at work and i suspect you folks will leave in the morning...

Hey Tom, I could more than likely make it............let me know what you decide.......... :callme:

P.S. Would a 94' XJ with bout' 4-5" of lift, some 31's and tow points be well equiped to run with ya? As well as a 90' with the same setup, minus tow points??? I could do just about any day, but thursday is all my buddy could do.

Last edited:
Well, Old Man....looks like the consensus is for Thurs., and I'm good with that. Now we just need to agree on a meet place/time.
I'm gonna suggest 'The Fort' parking lot (and that's about as close to that kitchen as I'll ever get. $$$) say around 10am? Since there are no services there or nearby; everyone should arrive with lunch packed, gassed up and ready to go.
Anything new to report from the Rangers? With the temps we've had this week, I dont foresee a problem getting thru to the top. I'm ready to go- whoo-hoo!

I have to contact the ranger station again. They said the trail was gated. I believe that I can get them to open it for us. Just for arguing points to the rangers, everybody check in that is interested in going. I need your rig qualifications, how long you have been wheeling, and age as well as how many of you have run this trail before. I need to be able to convince them we are not a bunch of wanabees and can do a run without tearing up the trail or getting anybody hurt.

I will start it off
Tom Houston, Loveland, Colorado
85 XJ 4.7L 35's lockers front and rear, full recovery gear including winch. CB/FRS equiped. Wheeling for 20+ years, search and rescue background and EMT background. Age 52

I'll second that...
RJ Gillis, Englewood
'93, 4.0, aw4, 3" lift, 32" tyres, CB, Come-along, straps, Wet-Ones...
Been 'wheeling on/off since I was a kid. (not all of it intentional.) But 'til this year; never with a club or organized group. SWM- 44yrs.

We might not qualify........... :jester:

DJ Kittrell, Englewood
94' XJ, 4.0, AW4, 4" lift, 31" Tires, Rear Hitch, Front Tow Hooks, Straps, Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Kit - 18 Years Old

Mike Hole, Highlands Ranch
90' XJ, 4.0, AW4, 4" lift, 31" Tires - 18 Years Old

Very responsible wheelers, don't make our own trails or litter/trash the ones we run.

hey tom,

if you had to guess, what time would you suspect you'd be back (say to "the fort")... assuming of course no breakdowns, major stuck-ages, etc. (that is to say i don't know how long the trail is).

now that i'm seeing this run gel for thurs, i'm re-thinking my plan to stay near boulder.
;>

MMIXJ, if we are not expecting any of those things, why are we going :gee:

Here is the latest update after talking to the rangers. Mile High Jeep Club has been up there working on the trail, even shoveling to get it open. He had no status at the moment. I went over to the MHJC website and posted looking for any updates or status on how much snow is up there.

If the trail was completely clear and we went up over the top and down into Keystone, I would think it would take maybe 4 hours from trailhead to highway. Add the trip to Grant and then from Keystone back home to the time. If we are going to run it, I would like to try and hit the trailhead no later than 9-10. That way if there is a lot of snow or other problems we still make it out at a reasonable time.

I will post as soon as I can get a firm answer on the trail.

okay, then "just in case":

Terry Breheny; Golden, CO; 36 years young
2001 XJ, 4.5" lift, 32x10.50s, 4.56/ARB f & r, recovery points,
48" jack/jackmate, recovery line, shovel, bow saw, first-aid kit...

wheeling responsibly for 3 years; successfully completed "Rubicon Trail Expert 4x4 Driving Seminar" (2002); if it helps, while in college i worked with the "Colorado Youth Corps" (trail conservation program for jefferson county).

;>

keep us posted... if the trail isn't open, it looks like some folks on CO4x4 are heading up to BML and red elephant.

thanks tom.

It is 4:00pm now. I just talked to the forest rangers and they will have the Red Cone gates open tomorrow Thursday at roughly 8:00am. I am going to go home and complete the tasks in order to get ready to head out tomorrow. I am thinking of meeting at the turn off from the highway at 9:30am unless everyone votes for another time. I need hard go/no go answers from anybody going tonight if possible. If you are going, remember this is not a NAXJA sanctioned trail run. I am going to be a pain in the arse and state that if you are going with the group, I want to see a shovel, and heavy coat and gloves as well as your normal safety equipment. I don't want anybody hurt.

There is still a small chance that we will not be able to get from the top of Red Cone down to Webster Pass summit and then over to Keystone. In that event we will be backtracking down Red Cone. It is likely to be windy and cold on top and may even be wet or snowing, so be prepared.

I recommend 31's and at least a rear locker. Last year there was an obstacle right at the beginning that if not taken right could scratch your drivers side tail light. Be warned that there is the possibility of body damage, I don't plan to get any but the trail could have changed from last year.
Tom Houston
970-690-6270

Sorry, I'm gonna have to raincheck this one. Didn't get my work done today; so I can't go out and play. I'll be out there this weekend tho', maybe on Red Cone, depending on your report.

It's after 10pm and it looks like everybody flaked out. I guess I will postpone the attempt till the weekend and see if there is more interest.

hey tom,

since i'm planning on running coney flats/gillespie in the afternoon, i'm gonna do the red elephant/BML run in the morning w/ the group from CO4x4 (since it is closer and shorter).

looks like you're back to your original plan for saturday... have fun, i'll be up in breckenridge or i would join you.

terry

Back