• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 Rear Axle?

cougar101

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I've got a quick question about the Chrysler 8.25 Rear Axle. Is there a way to tell the difference between the 27 spline
version and the 29 spline version, without pulling a shaft? I ask because I'm buying one, and want to be sure I'm getting a 29 spline.

cougar101 said:
Hey all, I've got a quick question about the Chrysler 8.25 Rear Axle. Is there a way to tell the difference between the 27 spline
version and the 29 spline version, without pulling a shaft? I ask because I'm buying one, and want to be sure I'm getting a 29 spline.
If it came from 95 or younger then it's 27 spline. If it came from a 97 or older it's 29 spline. 96 IIRC is the split year where it could be either or...... and otherwise then that, counting is the only way that I know of.

There was a post about two months ago with BOM numbers for the various 8.25 axles...I agree that pulling and counting is still probably the safer, more accurate method.

pull the brake drum... the 27 spline is a C-clip axle and the 29 is NON.... wouldnt the 29 have a bolt flange behind the brake shoes and a hole drilled in the axle flange itself to get at the retaining bolts?? i have never actually looked to compare the 2 axles (and i have both actually) but that would be a good indicator..... am i right? partially? way off?? anybody?
beuhler?
beuhler?

mike

sidriptide said:
pull the brake drum... the 27 spline is a C-clip axle and the 29 is NON....
Ummm when I had the 8.25 29 spline I'm pretty sure it was c-clipped cause I installed the c-clip a step too early while installing the no-slip resulting in about 1hr headache.

sidriptide said:
pull the brake drum... the 27 spline is a C-clip axle and the 29 is NON.... wouldnt the 29 have a bolt flange behind the brake shoes and a hole drilled in the axle flange itself to get at the retaining bolts?? i have never actually looked to compare the 2 axles (and i have both actually) but that would be a good indicator..... am i right? partially? way off?? anybody?
beuhler?
beuhler?

mike
My 98's 8.25 is a 29 spline is also a C clip, at least mine has two of them.... 44's come both ways though, C and non-C....

well i stand corrected.... never looked close at the rear in my 99 or did a lot of research on them.. my 87 has a 1994 27-spline with c-clips....

mike

Is it possible to convert a 27 spline axle to 29 spline? You would have to have the axleshafts and spider gears, but other than that...?

Back