• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

By Jove!

SoNjJeep

NAXJA Forum User
CheapXJ was right! CJ/YJ doors do fit Cherokees perfectly.. saw his post the other day and i knew i had to try it,,, he ain't lying..... and i did this on a 97+ rig as well.

get-photo.asp

I highly doubt the hard doors would fit, the soft door is resting on the edge of the instep and it is snug, the hard doors are like what, 5 or 6 inches thick as opposed to half inch for the softies.. so... i would love to skin the inside of a hard door or perhaps use one of those diamond plate half doors

Last edited:
okie, i'll run outside right now and snap a few.... i'll have them up within the hour... what do u want in particular?

SoNjJeep said:
okie, i'll run outside right now and snap a few.... i'll have them up within the hour... what do u want in particular?
Just close-ups of the hinges and the latch mechanism.

Thanks!

Okie, this picture shows the latch better, i grinded out that groove so when you lift the handle it slides back about a inch and then when pressure is let off it tries to go back a inch and it puts tension on it and so it won't nowhere, a very firm and tight fit... hope this explains everything

get-photo.asp

why not hack the top half of an extra door off and see if that works? still got hard doors and the handles, and the rigidity you want....just an idea

Kris

its out of a early CJ-7 with the old style latch.... i think it was pre 81... i know the more recent versions of the cj-7's up to 86 used the kind of latches that are on today's wranglers ( paddle type).... i think this style is called a rotary latch but i could be mistaken ..i've heard it be refered to this way although both styles should work, i just think this style will be a lot user friendly and idiot proof

the catch is the cherokee's.. unmodified

Last edited:
a while back a guy trimmed up his doors on pirate.

jeepandnutz003.jpg

cant see because his arm is blocking but it comes up a little in the back prolly for the handle mechanism. but he gained a lot of vision there

i like the chopped door idea, however i wheel with no doors and the soft doors are just something to put on for the ride to and from the trails in case cops are overly anal

small pederson said:
a while back a guy trimmed up his doors on pirate.

jeepandnutz003.jpg

cant see because his arm is blocking but it comes up a little in the back prolly for the handle mechanism. but he gained a lot of vision there

That's sort of how I'm planning to trim a pair of doors I picked up at the bone yard. I want to cut the door handle mostly off though, but still keep the lock and outside mirror and also might keep the upper part of the door surrounds, also cut to about the top of your thigh like a CJ/YJ/TJ 1/2 door otherwise what's the point? You can get some good ideas from Toyota guys as well, they cut alot of their doors. I think it's way to much work to have to redesign your door latch, way not just use a factory door and tailor it to how you want it? I know you don't get as much open air feeling as the tube doors, I'm just talking about cutting factory doors.

Troy

like this

DSCN0404.jpg

the latch was easy it is just a rod in the top of the door

steagall9301 said:
like this

DSCN0404.jpg

the latch was easy it is just a rod in the top of the door

Yup that's the ticket...but I'd leave the mirror in the door and lop of the door handle except for a little by the lock. Your turned out nice, what did you do to seal up the 2 skins? I was thinking of putting in a cup holder in there. Your doors look very good, did you fold over the outer skin to the inner skin and then just pop rivet it inside? I think that would be the easiest way of filling in the gap. I'm just gathering ideas so I do it right the 1st time and am happy with it. I will still keep my factory doors for the winter and these 1/2 doors for anytime other than that.

Troy

Ive been thinking of doing the half door thing like the pic above BUT with leaving the upper frame so soft uppers will have a frame to zip onto. Kinda like a soft upper TJ door have the windows zip in. Around here it rains off and on as well as keeping it somewhat comfortable on the freeway is my reasoning. Maybe a good winter project.

Back