• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp Gauge testing?

Raider_Dave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,
I have a '84 XJ with a 2.5. My temp gauge was not moving from just left of center under any condition. I thought that a short was causing this problem. I disconnected the battery and the gauge still didn't go down at all. I removed the gauge and the gauge doesn't return at all towards the left.

My question is this: Once removed, how do you test a temp gauge, or can I assume from the symptoms that the gauge is bad?

Thanks for any help, Dave...

Not sure about an 84XJ but our two 97TJ's all the gauges go to the left when turned off, same with my 98XJ and practically every gauge I have ever seen cept an ammeter gauge, their -0- is usually in the center :D

Connect the two terminals to a 12 volt source. IIRC the gauge should peak (either that or it goes to zero -- since Mopar reversed the polarity I can't remember which years go which way). Whichever way it goes when it gets 12 volts, then remove one wire from the source and the needle should go all the way to the opposite end of the scale.

Thanks for the info, but my temp gauge has 4 post on the back of the gauge, 3 of which corrispond to terminal connections in the dash panel...I will be using a battery charger for the 12volts. I need to know which of the 3-4 post on the back to connect to.

Does the fact that the gauge doesn't return to any position if the needle is moved manually indicate the gauge is bad?

Thanks, Dave...

IIRC in the '84 clusters, once the power is shut off the gauges stay where they were ... they don't return to zero.

Back