• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed CPS, Still Won't Start!

ebeaupre

NAXJA Forum User
Argh. This thing is really giving me a headache. Based upon the overwhelming recomendation of just about every "My XJ won't start" post I replaced the CPS. It still won't start.

I did notice that one of the lower holes on the old CPS was enlarged. I also read on one of the posts that there should be a .045" gap between the CPS and the flywheel teeth. So, I guess today when I go back out I'll check the clearance although I don't have a clue as to how I'll do that as there is absolutely no room to work on that thing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Eric

Have you rebuilt the NSS ?

I had the other CPS (camshaft position sensor) located under the rotor go bad twice and you will not have any spark during cranking. LOOK for loose plastic parts and magnet under the rotor in the base of the distrib. AZ has rebuilt distributors for $64. Just an idea!

if the crank sensor has an elongated hole, it is supposed to bottom out on the attaching bolt and pivot from the lower bolt. did you buy a factory sensor or an aftermarket, what year is your jeep.

Thanks for the replies guys. My Cherokee is an 88. The sensor I bought was an aftermarket from Advanced Autoparts (Kragen, Parts America, etc). It was a AG Sorenson(or something similar) brand for $30. AutoZone had a different brand (Wells maybe) for $52.

I was going to try the CamPS (Ignition Stator or Ignition Pick-up is what the parts store computers call them) but it's not a stocked item.

After reading some more and going back to the vehicle today I tried to read a voltage (AC and DC) while cranking and got squat with the new one on there. The new one measured ~250 ohms cold and the old one was about 200 ohms cold. I noticed the old one had a wallowed out lower mounting hole. Since I wasn't getting a voltage while cranking I figured the sensor wasn't close enough. So, I removed the lower bolt and thought I would just slide it closer and tighten the top bolt to confirm my suspicions but I couldn't slide the sensor any closer.

Out of curiousity I took a pair of pliers and ran them back and forth over the tip of the old one and did measure a voltage.

At this point I was sick of wasting such a gorgeous weekend underneath my POS Jeep and called a tow truck to have it pulled to a shop in town. I then hopped in my old Cutlass which proved to be much more enjoyable than laying under the truck :)

I let you guys know how I make out at the shop.

Thanks
Eric

Back