• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a TJ D30 a direct swap for XJ D30?

Diablito

NAXJA Forum User
The XJ needs lower gears. 4.11 would hit the spot and is found in 2.5L Cherokees and wranglers.Stronger Ujoints are also a plus. I figure more TJ owners swap out the D30 front than XJ owners so it might be easier to find one. In terms of coil mounts and shock mounts is it the same axle? Will it bolt right in? Thanks

Housing should be fine, but you will lose the hi-pinion found in all Cherokees except the last two model years. '00 and '01 XJs had a low-pinion axle as well. With that, you lose some strength in the ring+pinion, and have steeper driveline angles on the front; you may need a new driveshaft or at least a longer version of your current one.

My XJ is a 92' with a rubi 4" superflex lift. Will I need a new Dshaft or can I just run at a steeper angle?I would perferably want a 4.11D30 from a 2.5L XJ, but I think that would be harder to find than one from a TJ.

Back