• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much is my speedo off????

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
How much is the speedo realy off with my 33's because I can't afford to get another ticket, but I can't stand getting passeed because I am over calculating it in my head. by the way I am running stock 3.55 gears. don't tell me to get new gears, I know, I can't afford them.

it's simple math that I don't feel like doing for you, it's the same percent off as the percent bigger your tires are from stock.

more importantly, a new speedo gear costs $12 and takes under 5 minutes to install, find GoJeep's website to figure out which speedo gear you need.

sorry to hijack, but how do you like the 3.55 with 33's i will soon be doing this soon. have 31's on now, just wondering how much worse it will be, again sorry

As mentioned above I have a table that shows you what gear you need. It also has a calcultor that you can enter your stock and new tyre size and any speed and it will tell you your actual speed.
If you still have the stock gear ( 34 ) for 225x75x15 ( 28" ) tyres then running 33's would make your speedo out by 17.8%.
If you stock tyre was 225x70x15 ( 27 ) the stock gear was 35 and it would be 22.2% out at all speeds.

http://go.jeep-xj.info

Where can you find it for $12? I just installed 31's w/3.55 gears and need the 32 tooth "pinion speedo drive". I called a dealer and was quoted $26+tax US. If anyone has purchased one recently has gotten a better price please let me know where.

Borrow a buddies GPS. That is the quickest and most accurate method of calibrating to see where you are. They are accurate to .1 mph. Once you have the actual vs shown speed, you can do a simple ratio and determine the number of teeth you need.

Actual # teeth needed
------- = -------------------------
Indicated Current # teeth

It is an inverse relationship.

Rough 01 said:
Where can you find it for $12? I just installed 31's w/3.55 gears and need the 32 tooth "pinion speedo drive". I called a dealer and was quoted $26+tax US.
So, for under $30 you can avoid "another ticket"?

In Oregon, speeding tickets start in the $100's and go straight up from their. How many tickets are you going to risk by trying to save $15?

You might try another dealer, as their prices aren't set in stone, but even $26+tax isn't that much money.

:looney:

red87cherokee said:
So, for under $30 you can avoid "another ticket"?

In Oregon, speeding tickets start in the $100's and go straight up from their. How many tickets are you going to risk by trying to save $15?

You might try another dealer, as their prices aren't set in stone, but even $26+tax isn't that much money.
:looney:

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off. No sense in paying $30 for something I could've gotten for $15. That's an extra $15 for pizza and (beverages of choice). :cheers:

Ramsey said:
sorry to hijack, but how do you like the 3.55 with 33's i will soon be doing this soon. have 31's on now, just wondering how much worse it will be, again sorry
It will be bad - I've got 3.55s on 32s for now and hate it; getting 4.56s installed right now though to better match the tires.

They are not much worse than 31's the biggest difference I noticed was in breaking, it is not a fast car, and it never has been, and never will be. there is always 4wd low range.

Rough 01 said:
Where can you find it for $12? I just installed 31's w/3.55 gears and need the 32 tooth "pinion speedo drive". I called a dealer and was quoted $26+tax US. If anyone has purchased one recently has gotten a better price please let me know where.
I paid $12 at a dealer in Jackson Michigan about a month ago for mine (88 t-case, 39 tooth)

Back