• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow hook ideahs

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
i need some ideahs for tow hooks in the front, keep in mind that I can't weld, and factory mounts are out of the question because they cost too much. so just some thing cheap. Can I mount tow hooks to my front bumper if I drill holes and use bolts with large washers?

you need some sort of bracket designed for it, there are several manufacturers. DO NOT skimp on this, it could KILL someone. you CAN NOT bolt a tow hook to the front bumper. It would be a better idea to wrap a strap around the front axle (not that that's a good idea, but it's a better idea)

I didn't feel like paying for them either a few years ago, so I made some by getting a piece of 1/4 inch steel plate and making 2 of them very similar to the other ones out there. If you make some, 1/4 inch plate should be considered a MINIMUM, and be sure to tie it into all 3 bumper bolts, AND the hole that's 8(?) inches behind that, and on the driver's side you can use the steering box bolts also if you like

Seeing as I just sold my jeep I don't need my factory bracket set anymore. It is complete if I can find it. Let me know if you are interested. I am located in Vancouver BC.

fox

dellstopjeep said:
who sells these brackets?
Custom 4x4 and Rusty's

bigpimpinben said:
i need some ideahs for tow hooks in the front, keep in mind that I can't weld, and factory mounts are out of the question because they cost too much. so just some thing cheap. Can I mount tow hooks to my front bumper if I drill holes and use bolts with large washers?
NO!

Contact Rusty's Offroad or Custom 4x4. They both sell kits with brackets and hooks for about $75 -- maybe less if you catch a sale. Their brackets are patterned after the factory ones, but are reported to be heavier.

Just to give a visual this is the factory tow hook bracket/bumper bracket (it replaces the brackets you have). The non tow hoook bumper brackets are held on with three bolts and are made out of steel that is better called tinfoil, I was rear ended at under 10 mph and it tore the hell out of one of my rear brackets, them's not tow rated.

towhookbrackets.gif

I saw an XJ the other day with towhooks bolted right to the top of the bumper, then today saw another one with a big D-ring bolted to the middle of the bumper...

I felt like following them and telling them they're going to kill somebody

Stock tow hook improvements

I've never come across the part number 31 on that diagram, looks like an alternative attachment point to the standard hook. Part number 5 is useless as a brace, it'll bend very easily under a side load, it needs a vertical web to stiffen it... part number 28 is an important load spreading component. You can also strengthen part number 24 by welding in a small gusset at the leading edge of the lower plate that the hook bolts to.

Back