• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help fast! Couple of questions.

giranger

NAXJA Forum User
Need Help fast! Couple of questions.
Just moved to Kentucky from Arizona and drove my XJ all the way. It did good down here until about 2 hours away. This may get a little complicated so just follow along......96 XJ w/4.0 AW-4........the whole way I was running with cruize control and if I was going uphill it would downshift into overdrive, I found out that if I would put the shifter into "3" it would come out of overdrive and cruize up the hill w/o losing speed. Did this the whole way until right before I got here. I noticed that when going up a hill it went into overdrive and I shifted into "3" and it stayed in overdrive. Once up the hill it came out of overdrive but the rpm's were higher and erratic. Then the engine started overheating really easy. I called my brother and he said it sounded like the clutch plates were slipping, to let it cool off and try it again. Well, after sitting for a couple hours it was normal until I went into overdrive. It was normally running at 2000rpm at 80mph then it was running at 2500rpm and erratic. So I had to limp it here with the heater on the whole way to keep the engine cool. Anyone know what it could be in the tranny? Also could my t-stat not working properly and why I have to run the heater all the time?

Another prob was right before i left Az the left center pin for rear leaf broke. I replaced it but the leaf perch hole was hollered out. I tightened the Ubolts as tight as I could and drove it 2 1/2 hours to my brothers. We took the leafs off and noticed the pin was starting to bend again and the other pin was almost broke. Both holes in the perches were huge. We then welded on some 1/2" steel strap and drilled proper size holes and now the right shakle is staright up and down "l" while the left one is touching the body "\" angled to the rear. When I turn a corner the whole truck leans really hard and then staightens out. I have noticed the axle is shifting around (forward and aft on end side). It feels like I got a huge water barrel in the back and the water is sloshing around. Kinda wierd feeling trying to drive. I think we didnt get the holes in the new strap centered on the original perches, it was hard to tell because the holes were so elongated.
Could this be causing my problems. I feel the right strap is 1/4" forward while the left one is 1/4" back of original holes. Any suggestions?

I know a lot to grasp but really need the help. Also anyone around Lexington/richmond area that knows where some 4x4 shops are? I went to trailblazers but they only have add on stuff. Who knows where to buy the extended leaf perches at?

Thanks Jeff CamoXJ

Back