• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need new shocks & springs for XJ with 6.5" lift

PyroZona

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Ok, I need some helpful suggestions from you people...if you'd be so kind. :D

I've got an '87 XJ with a 4" Trail Master lift combined with 2 1/2" coil spring spacers added in front and a custom add-a-leaf in the back. Before you ask why it was done this way, lemme tell you...I had this lift done before Tomken Machine even thought about lifting an XJ more than 3-4 inches (before anyone did, actually). This was the only way to get better than 4" of lift at the time, and I've had it this way ever since. Well, I had Fly-N-Hi Offroad's fabrication shop do some other things, too...custom crossover steering linkage, modified track rod and dual Doetch Tech Explorer shocks all around. Well, after about 10 years of beatin' the hell out of my Jeep (including 1 4Wheel & Offroad Jamboree "Tough Trucks" competition and 1 other similar event at a local monster truck show), it's badly in need of some "updates". Most of all being new shocks ('bout time, huh?) and correcting the sag and harshness in the rear.

See?

jeepsag.jpg

Ideally, I want to replace the rear leaf springs altogether instead of doing a new add-a-leaf or adding shackles. I'm thinking I'll probably go with RE springs, but I am concerned the spring rate of whatever I end up getting. As of right now - like, when I go over a good-sized speed bump - the front is a little hard and bouncy (thinking I'll be replacing the front coils soon, too), but when the rear wheels go over it almost feels like I'm in a go kart with no suspension! I swear, if my speaker box wasn't fastened down as well as it is, I'm afraid it's gonna bounce up and hit the headliner!!

I know it's all due to worn out springs and shocks (oh yeah...I did take one pair of the dual shocks off of the rear a long time ago due to it being too damn stiff back there), so I'd like some suggestions from people who run some of the newer, updated shocks & springs. I don't do any crawling, really. I like to go a lot faster off-road...more like mild pre-running stuff, so I'd really like to find some springs with progressive rates if they're not too pricey.

I actually need to update the front control arms to some tubular ones, too. That'll be next on my list, I think. First things first, though. Any and all knowledgeable, helpful suggestions would be appreciated for springs and shocks. Especially if anyone's running those new Edelbrock reservoir shocks, King Offroad Racing's shocks or stuff like that! I don't know if I wanna get 6.5" coils for the front and remove the spacer that's in there now, or keep the spacer in and get 4" coils. ARRRGGHHH...decisions, decisions!!

Thanks in advance,

Pyro

Just my opinion, go with sky jacker 6" coil springs((jc60f) & skyjacker 5.5 inch leaf packs (jc55r) & a shackel of your choice. Can be done for around $600 ish american. & I would go with a good shock of yor choice, its so bias about shocks so I won't even go there. But you also can't go wrong with the Rubicon stuff but it's a little more $.

Back