• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thought you guys would like this...Some cage pictures....

snoopy

NAXJA Forum User
My machinist has decided to build an XJ his wheeling rig. He found one that had been in an accident for $200 (front and back bumpers were munched, as well as the grill). After some used/custom lift parts, he cut the back off it and them brought it to me for some cage work. Here's some pictures of the cage we put in. Its our standard front, but we modified the back a bit to fit his needs.

First we capped the cutouts
pxj1.jpg

Then we got some *Jeep Labor* from Led for the setup.
pxj2.jpg

Once the bends were right we welded them down. Paul wanted to be able to use ratchet straps on the tube to tie down stuff so we spaced them up a bit.
pxj3.jpg

pxj4.jpg

More roll protection via a second hoop (plated right above a weld point)
pxj5.jpg

pxj6.jpg

Some 45* bars in the original bar made for some nice attachement points to the interior cage.
pxj7.jpg

Views from inside:
pxj8.jpg

pxj9.jpg

I know I'm new to the XJ world but I hadn't seen an XJ done like this so I thought I'd share.

We welded the rear structure to the caps, old window frame (front and bottom) and top ~ Needless to say that once welded, the whole thing was pretty freakin solid. The interior cage was impossible to move even without being bolted down.

Pauls out testing the suspension today so we'll see how that works out. Then we'll be doing some body protection taking ideas for CagedXJ and Joey's.

I'll post more pictures as they become available.

It looks great!Do you have any pics of the front hoop,thats where it gets tight!

Doesn't look like there are any front legs yet ?? I am sure it's still a work in progress.. Looks good so far...

I can't tell from the photos, but does the rear hoop end on top of the panels you capped?

If so, it would be stronger if the tubing continued down inside the rear panel and then tied into the frame rail. I would think those upper panels would crush with not much pressure on them. Just a thought.

Looks awesome!!

XJZ said:
I can't tell from the photos, but does the rear hoop end on top of the panels you capped?
I'm not sure what your asking but, the first bar starts at the tail light, bends up with the window frame, then turns 80* and runs ACROSS the roof and then bends back down the window, back to the old tail light. Heavy tabs connect the bar to the old window frame and the roof is stich-welded to the bar across the top.

If so, it would be stronger if the tubing continued down inside the rear panel and then tied into the frame rail.
I think I got ya now. You're wondering if the bar ends on the rear caps or not or if it continues down to the frame. Yes, they do (end at the cap). Yes I agree that bringing them down to the *frame* would be stronger, but paul wanted something fast so this is what he got. Still this structure is extremely rigid.

Looks awesome!!
Thanks. I can't wait till we add the rear quarter protection and bumper stuff, then it should look real nice. Still its a cleaner XJ than I suspected for as $200 rolling wreck ;)

snoopy said:
I think I got ya now. You're wondering if the bar ends on the rear caps or not or if it continues down to the frame. Yes, they do (end at the cap). Yes I agree that bringing them down to the *frame* would be stronger, but paul wanted something fast so this is what he got. Still this structure is extremely rigid.

Yeah, that's what I asking. If the need ever arises, you could always add a connection later, wouldn't require too much work.

It looks sweet. As much as I fight chopping off the rear (lack of skill), seeing stuff like this makes me want to polish up the fab skills and get cuttin'!!

Last edited:
what is your company name that front part of that cage looks alot like tennessee offroads the front hoop looks identical. I say this since i am gettin ready to buy that cage and put in my cherokee. I like the cage in the rear to i just cut my cherokee identical to that one . lookin really good

hey guys that looks really good, if i ever decide to go all out on my XJ i guess i'll know who to call, or email, or page, something:D

Kris

big cherokee said:
that cage looks alot like tennessee offroads the front hoop looks identical.

of course it would.

so does mine, and his, and hers, and thiers, and everyone else that puts tubes inside xj's........not much else you can do to make it look different, the vehicle DECIDES what the tubes should do....

I really like the lines on the rear portion.

nice balance of form and function.

groovey.

I would agree that the rear part of the cage needs to be tied into the "frame" rails.

on a lighter note, D&C is an abortion method.

SeanP

never mind on the tennesee offroad order your cage kicks ass i will be ordering your kit i like how it comes clear out the back which will give supports for my soft top. thanks for the link look forward to hooken that up.

Beezil said:
I really like the lines on the rear portion.

nice balance of form and function.

groovey.

You sound like and Art Fag! LOL! :dunce: :rof:

SeanP said:
on a lighter note, D&C is an abortion method.
Ya, if you're a CHICK!~

I found that our from a racy insurance lady. Not that she was a bad girl ~ just a red-head, and we all know how red-heads are. :eek:

Anyway, D and C stands for Damian and Christy (my wife and I). No medical proceedures here folks!

;)

snoopy you guys do custom cages though right? i mean if someone wanted something done custom(liek this) they could get it done by you guys right?

Back