• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 4.0 ECM Problems

SparkChaser

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled into the gas station last night to fill up and after pumping my gas the engine would crank but not start. From what I have found so far the fuel pump does run when the key is turned and there is fuel pressure on the rail but there is no power to the ignition coil.

Towed it over to the parts store on a dolly and had them put the computer on it this afternoon. The message on the computer was "Link Error". From this it sounds to me like it has gone brain dead on me but want some opinions before I jump into a new ECM.

Need to do it fairly quick as this is my only vehicle and my friend wants his truck back.

I was thinking about the crank sensor like you mentioned in your first reply, it is still the original at 155K miles. The ECM did die on me 2 years ago so that also came to mind when the scan tool wouldn't read anything.

I have a few other things I want to check in the morning, like whether the wiring is good between the test port and the ECM then I'll try to find a different scan tool to plug into it. Maybe then I'll come up with something.

Thanks for your help!

From working for DC for afew years,a shorted crank sensor can disrupt the 5 volt referance signal for the PCM.I reccomend disconnecting the CPS,then trying a "scan".If you get communication ,then you have a bad CPS

Sounds like I have a couple of good ones to check on in the morning. I'm at home right now and my friend is holding the XJ captive until I finish using his truck. Gotta go to his house to do any work on it.

Thanks Again!

Experience strikes again, you guys nailed this one! Stopped at the dealership to pick up a sensor this morning, ended up finding it at the fourth one, $91 with Uncle Sam's cut. It started right up after replacing the sensor and is running as if nothing happened.

It seems that my '96 XJ is late enough in the model year that it got the newer OBD2 system, per the VIN number, so the sensor was a different part number. Just something for everybody to remember on this year, check the VIN to see which set of parts you need.

Back