• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cryo..... Yes or No?

Ted Z

NAXJA Forum User
I got a price of $100 to do my R & P and Bearings for my 8.8....

Is it really worth it?

and a price of $20 a piece for rotors and calipers combined.

Same q?

$100 for an axle set-up is usually a good deal - depends on the quality of the job though -- $100 spent now on a bad set-up can lead to replacing gears and bearings in a few weeks...

Sounds good to me though (if you can assure quailty) -- the brake deal is good as well (used?)

Cryo? I'm sure that this will be a big debate. That price sounds ridiculous to me. Find someone around you who works in a lab that used liquid nitrogen and have them chuck yer shit is their deward for a few days. I have done it to drill bits before and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me. I don't know, though, I'm sure the metal bitches might have a better idea. I'd rather buy a hundred $1 beers than have cryo'ed gears.

.02 from KY

"I'd rather buy a hundred $1 beers than have cryo'ed gears."

Wow that rhymed..... I know theres more to it than just droppin them in N2..... its a controlled drop and raise.....

I've seen the results of cryogenic stress-relief in rifle barrels, and I've been impressed. Anything that will relieve internal stresses in machined cast parts (or machined forged parts) is a good thing to me - especially something subjected to the sort of stresses as R/P or low driveline gears (I've thought of having 1st and 2d done when I rebuild an NV3550 for my 88, and maybe the input set and chain when I rebuild the tcase.)

You are correct that it is a bit involved - you just don't run something to -300*F and back to room temperature with impunity...

5-90

I wouldn't waste my money on it. It's not going to make it stronger, it'll just give a better wear characteristic. The way it has been described to me by several bytches is- Essentially it brings the molecules into a more consistent pattern, heat cycles now affect it less creating a better wear life, but not helpin out in any kind of a strength issue. Take it for what it's worth. I'd put that $100 towards my next wheelin' trip.

Sean

you'd think that by making the parts more wear resistant, they'd therefore be more resistant to wear related failure.....no?

Back