• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

e-brake and shoe adjustment

lapisxj

NAXJA Forum User
I can't seem to get the rear brakes set correctly. Either the rear end locks up super quick or the e-brake doesn't hold. Which should I adjust first the adjusters in the drum or the cable? What is the best way to get the right amount of tension on the brake shoes?

First, back off (loosen) the parking brake cables -- a lot. Then adjust the brake shoes using the star wheels through the slots in the backing plates. You should tighten them up until you begin to hear/feel the drums dragging as they rotate, then back off two or three clicks.

After the shoes are properly adjusted, then you can tighten up the parking brake cable. The FSM shows a fawncy special tool with a dial that fits on a torque wrench to set it by tension on the cables, but for the rest of us -- pull the handle up about 5 clicks, then tighten the adjuster until the wheels won't turn. Take it out, road test it, apply the brakes a few times, set the parking brake a few times, then re-tighten if necessary. The parking brake should hold with the tranny in drive on level ground. Reverse is not as efficient, because of the geometry of the brake shoes and linkage inside the drums.

The brakes on my '90 XJ self-adjust themselves. When I replaced my rear brakes, they didn't seem to be working much, after I got the new shoes on. I found out that the rear brakes are adjusted by going in reverse and braking. I did this a couple times (braked pretty hard while moving in reverse), and now the rear brakes work great.

I had trouble with my rear brakes on my 90 when doing them. I couldn't get them adjusted right, and they kept locking up on me. After tearing everything apart about 3 times and rediong it I finally called a local mechanic who came over and checked things out only to find my e-brake cables were frozen up. I replaced those and everything worked great. I never thought to check the cables.

90Pioneer said:
The brakes on my '90 XJ self-adjust themselves. When I replaced my rear brakes, they didn't seem to be working much, after I got the new shoes on. I found out that the rear brakes are adjusted by going in reverse and braking. I did this a couple times (braked pretty hard while moving in reverse), and now the rear brakes work great.

The self-adjusters rarely work right. When they do, they are intended to maintain the adjustment, they are not intended to provide the gross adjustment necessary when replacing the shoes.

Back