• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

elect fan going?

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone heard of this happening before other things going? Got a pretty bad squeel (not trottle responsive). I'm pretty sure it's my elec fan b/c it only does it after ir has warmed up. I'm not worried about replacing it, not a prob, i'm just wondering if this has happened to others. I figure my clutch fan or other pulleys would go out before the elect fan.

Twice now I´ve had the housing for the electric fan break(crack) in the same spot and rub, (two different fans, two different radiators). Roughed it up with sand paper and filled the whole corner, where the crack was, with Loc Tight (two part epoxy) metal mender. I filled in the area, (with the epoxy) pretty thick, to make the repair stronger than the original (thin) area.
If you get another fan, I noticed the fan in the wifes 95 has more blades and a different pitch, seems to move more air than my earlier version.

I pretty much did the same repair as 8Mud. Tried a couple epoxies but they never held. I then used something called QuikSteel (?); it's like a silly putty clay that comes in a tube. That stuff was damn good! I was amazed. It's very important to rough up the surface with sandpaper or wire brush and make sure it's free of grease, etc.

I also used QuikSteel to repair that plastic recess hole the headlight knob/switch mounts on to. Through years of use the plastic in the recessed hole broke off and enlarged the hole whereby the little flat nut wouldn't hold the switch assembly in place. I filled it with QuikSteel, let it set, and then drilled it out until the nut and assy fit. I wasn't about to shell out for a new dash.

You can buy a newer style fan at Quadratec.com for $100. I'm very happy with the perfromance of one I just installed. I haven't had the heart to throw away my old repaired one. Guess I'll save it as a backup.

Well see, I think its the bearing going in the fan itself. It wont make ANY noises until it heats up to opperating temps, then it takes about 10 minutes of driving for it to squeel. It doesn't make any noises while accelling or decelling, but only at idle. Then it sound like a whine,grind noise. Comes and goes, not constant. Very qierd. My belt is fine, all the other pullies eem to be ok (as far as turing by hand, and listening for sounds.)

I´ve replaced a couple of idle pullies, that rattled and squealed, only at certain RPM´s. Was hard to localize the sound.
Have had coolant/oil covered belts, that sang a bit, only at idle and only in cool weather.

The sounds only began since it got warmer. As I said before, i'm not worried at all, I was just wondering how common the problem was. I can't recall anyone ever posting about it.

i'm concerned mine might be fried, seeing as how it never turns on any more-but it may not have done so since my cooling system overhaul after my last waterpump died in february-pump, idler pulley, fan clutch, tstat, serpentine belt, fluid change, etc, so i need to troubleshoot it. when i find the time, like maybe after i change out my stupid parking brake lever (console is sitting in my backseat for this, but seeing as how i can't get any leverage on the PB EQ adjuster nut, i'm probably going to just cut all the parts out and fab new ones by hand).

Back