• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Much ATF in AW4 Tranny?

I have a 2000 XJ with the AW4... the problem is that have the towing package with external cooling system. How much fluid do i need to get in order to do a complete flush, also anyone have any suggestions as how to do this also bleeding the cooling circuit? I had changed the filter on my 95' which was a PITA, the fill tube that goes up through the engine compartment is attached to the pan. I'd rather not scrape the gasket on this one while it sits 3 inches off of the tranny(any tips?or do i just not change the filter) oh well, any information/help on changing the fluid effectively would be nice. it's an AW4 with 85,000 miles.

you really need to find a shop that has a special type of machine that goes inline to your cooling lines, so that when your old fliud circulates through the system, it is pumped into the machine while fresh fluid is pumped into the trans via the return cooling lines, like a transfusion. it usually takes about 15 quarts to do the job thoroughly.

thanks for the info.

I just did mine recently with a bg products machine and their little chemicals and the factory mopar atf+4. I wasn't sure about the fluid but my brother is a mechanic there and everybody had suggested that it was better for the newer models as it was specifically formulated for it. Either way go get it flushed with a system. Mine was flushed with 16 quarts and it was the best thing I ever did for the tranny. The old fluid was just plain nasty and dark as hell. It was really cool to see the tranny being flushed. I recommend BGs flush all the way====Kyle

Thanks, I have a 2000 and the FSM and my owners manual says Mercon/Dexron III but the dealer put in ATF+4 so I wasn't sure
They flushed and replaced all the fluid in the tranny and torque converter
If my AW4 fails I can always go back and show them my Owners manual

Last edited:
I had mine flushed with the BG machine. AWESOME DEVICE. It uses 16 QUARTS, YES, quarts to do the flush and fill. I used Royal Purple Max ATF. (YES it is a DEX3/Mercon sub and works very well in the AW4)

Like a new tranny... runs 10 degrees cooler with the Royal Purple. It is available in a 5 gallon pail from Murray's for $104. I still have a gallon to spare as well.

Those who have atf+4 or any type of atf+ fluid, I recommend you go get mercon/dexron fluid put in and flushed.

People put in atf+ fluid bc they think its a chrysler tranny, but actually its a asian/toyota tranny whih uses mercon stuff.

Trust me get it changed.

pete

I dump the fluid every time I do an oil change. I have a 1 gallon container
marked at the 2.8 quart point. I fill the container to the mark and pour it in the
transmission. Not a complete change but keeps the fluid clean with very little fuss. There is no filter in my transmission just a screen that I clean along with the magnets when I remove the cover, which doesn't happen very often.
I use Dexron III only.

jeepsrock said:
Those who have atf+4 or any type of atf+ fluid, I recommend you go get mercon/dexron fluid put in and flushed.

People put in atf+ fluid bc they think its a chrysler tranny, but actually its a asian/toyota tranny whih uses mercon stuff.

Trust me get it changed.

pete
Jeep said the Mercon DexronIII and ATF+4 are totally compatible for the AW4
the only difference being the +4 has a higher rating

sbxj said:
Jeep said the Mercon DexronIII and ATF+4 are totally compatible for the AW4
the only difference being the +4 has a higher rating
By "Jeep said" do you mean the dealer? If so, I'd double check the owner's manual--it very well may say that. If so, go that route, but I'd definitely check again and read carefully. Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealers seem to be fond of telling people this so they only have to stock one type (or, god forbid, they just don't know any better).

All i have to say is if you have a AW4 Tranny i am sure it takes mercon/dexron regardless of what the dealer told you.

I had my previous AW4 tranny go out on me and i think the usuage of atf+3 fluid per dealer recommendation was part of the problem of it not shifting at all. This is why most of my jeep work is done by me now with the help of the forums.

Do a few searches on the web and you will se that i am right...chanage and flush the fluid on your own.

pete

JeepinAudiophile said:
I had changed the filter on my 95' which was a PITA, the fill tube that goes up through the engine compartment is attached to the pan. I'd rather not scrape the gasket on this one while it sits 3 inches off of the tranny(any tips?or do i just not change the filter) oh well, any information/help on changing the fluid effectively would be nice. it's an AW4 with 85,000 miles.

Anyone have tips on how to get this dipstick thing separate from the pan to drop it completely? I really want to see the magnets in my pan and maybe change out the filter too.

jeepsrock said:
All i have to say is if you have a AW4 Tranny i am sure it takes mercon/dexron regardless of what the dealer told you.

I had my previous AW4 tranny go out on me and i think the usuage of atf+3 fluid per dealer recommendation was part of the problem of it not shifting at all.

pete
Well if it does they're buying me a new transmission
I got it from Daimler Chrysler that I can file a complaint should I find that they put in the wrong ATF
and besides my vehicles under warranty
I was assured by the Service Tech where I bought my Jeep that I can and should use ATF+4
as well as it being the only fluid they use now
He admitted that while there are no real advantages to using it, it is completely compatible with Mercon/Dexron and the AW4 tranny
BTW This is the same Dealer that replaced my entire 8.25 rear axle (at no charge to me) when I told them I heard a slight gear whine while coasting.
I may be wrong but I have nothing to lose except the use of my Jeep while they put in a new AW4
I'll keep y'all posted

Last edited:
Assuming that the tranny will fail soon and not after the warranty runs out when the seals fall apart.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

Here is some additional info, I think the safe way is to use DexronIII and force the dealer to comply with the Chrysler manual.
Unless he has a SB or something similar from above, his opinions are irrelevant.

Back