• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pressure bottle blew up

brtb

NAXJA Forum User
Last week I pulled out of the parking lot and there was a slightly large puddle of green under the Jeep. Turns out the (original) pressure bottle finally cracked, and the cap seal was shot too. So... new bottle from Quadratec. I'll probably replace the upper/lower large hoses at the same time... anything else while I'm at it? And probably a very stupid question... since I'll probably have to drain the thing, without a real radiator cap, how do I fill it? :D New radiator ~2 years ago, not sure what kind.

Make sure you replace with a new cap as well as the bottle. I fill the system up through the upper radiator hose. I turn up the end of the hose higher than the radiator when filling that way I know it's full when it starts to overflow out the engine side where that radiator hose connects. Others may have a better way but that works for me.

There are TONS of write-ups on this, just do a search. Make sure you get a factory thermostat (or put a small hole in an aftermarket one near the top) so that the air can bleed off. I replaced my bottle last week and it was a cinch. Just be sure to get all the air out, and check the fluid levels over the next several days and add where needed.

Basic proceedure is to drain via the temp sender (driver's side of the block) or the drain plug on the radiator. The drain plug is a PITA, so the temp sender may be easier. Replace the hoses, bottle, t-stat etc, then refill via the bottle. Once you have as much fluid in as it will take, there are several bleed proceedures. The one that worked for me was to put the cap on the bottle LOOSELY, then start the car. As soon as the coolant was bubly and about to boil over, shut down the engine FAST. Wait a few minutes and the engine will start to suck fluid down. While it's doing that, pour in more coolant/water/mix until it stops sucking. Do this a couple of times until it stops taking more coolant and you're done.

I had to go one round of this, but other folks have had to to several. I also had to add fluid a bit for the next two days or so. Be sure to use distilled water.

Good luck!
Andy

^ What he said - also helps to put the rear wheels up on a railroad tie or suitable lift...

Pad the new bottle using an old section of radiator hose split in half to isolate vibrations.

I'm a novice mechanic. I just had most of my coolant system replaced and now I noticed that my tank is leakin. Is this something I can do in say a couple of hours, If I follow your directions?

cheapxjwheeler said:
I'm a novice mechanic. I just had most of my coolant system replaced and now I noticed that my tank is leakin. Is this something I can do in say a couple of hours, If I follow your directions?

Are you speaking of the expansion bottle? Where is it leaking? If it's leaking from where the cap threads on and seals it, just replace the cap with a new one. If the bottle is cracked, replace it and the cap.
The procedure is very simple. Just undo the clamps on the rubber lines hooked to your bottle and pull the lines off.

you need a new coolant bottle and replace the cap, the best way to fill the system back up is to remove the radiator hose from the t-stas housing and fill the radiator thruogh it until full. then reinstall that hose and remove the heater hose from the t-stas housing, fill the coolant bottle until coolant comes out from the t-stat housing.

Oh yeah...DO NOT overtighten the cap once you replace the coolant bottle - only snug it or you'll rip the rubber gasket in the cap, making it useless

the easiest way to do this is to go to the local junkyard and find a fairly late model small-midsized plymouth or dodge with the coolant bottle on the firewall at the passenger side (same place as your xj) you will notice that the mopar bottle is shaped differently and is much thicker plastic......it also has a pressurized quick twist cap just like a real radiator cap.
remove your old bottle, remove the bracket that held it in place. drill 2 holes in the shelf to mount your new bottle and connect up the hoses....voila..
a $5.00 conversion to an open system!

Back