• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering leek

Diablito

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed a small leak in the power steering pump/resevoir. I checked the level in the resevoir and its is low but not empty, just at the add line. I started the engine and turned the wheel all the way in both dierection about 5 times and didn't notice any more fluid loss. Should I replace the pump or wait for it to fail? Can I add something like radiator stop leak and seal it up that way? Should I just refill the resevoir and see how long it takes to get low and if the leak isn't bad just live with it? Thanks in advance for any help.

I would get some PS stop leak. Go with a good brand name. It helped my wifes TJ.

Really , they make a stop leak specifically for Power steering. Right on! I will run down to the parts store and pick some up. This makes my day.

Thats a good thing because I let mine go to hell without any stop leak in it and trust me you dont want to be cruisin at 70 and have it blow the side return line out like mine did. Evidently the less fluid you have in there the more pressure builds up. So 60 bucks later I'm cruisin again.

-Good Luck

Only $60. When my YJ blew it was almost $300(with labor, I wasn't mechanically savy back then). I just bought some Lucas stop leak yesterday and it seems to be helping.

Back